Responsible for conducting pre-flight maintenance tasks and tests on aircraft this could be on-board a frigate, destroyer, helicopter carrier at a Royal Navy air station or with a front line squadron based overseas.
- There are no minimum qualification requirements
- You must be aged between 16-39
- You must be a British/British Dual National who has lived in the UK continuously for 5 years prior to applying
What you need to be eligible to be a rating:
- nationality and residency
- criminal convictions
- tattoos and piercings
click here for more details.
Although this job role does not require formal qualifications, we highly recommend that you try to achieve at least a grade 4 (C) in English & Maths. Achieving this minimum grade in these subject will increase opportunities in the future and help with your career development and prospects.
If you don't achieve the minimum grades, you will be supported to continue to study English and Maths throughout your full-time education or an apprenticeship.
If you are interested in becoming an Officer and have checked the eligibility you will then need to start the joining process.
- Register your interest
- Naval Service Recruitment Test (NRST)
- Interview - to talk about the role suitable for you
- Medical and eye tests
- Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT)
- Pre Royal Navy Course (PRNC)
- Start Training
Day one - 10 weeks at HMS Raleigh, learning basic military skills.
First Promotion, leading hands - Further training, more responsibility, lead junior ratings
First Year - Complete your task book and learn on the job
Professional training - develop you professional training skills and earn NVQs.
Second promotion,Petty Officer - becomes a manager, take responsibility for defect diagnosis.
- Ability to work well in a team
- A keen interest in engineering
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
£20,000 to £51,000 (plus the benefits)