A Mortgage Advisor will either work independently to find the best mortgage for their customers needs or they may work for a bank or building society and will only sell their own companies products. They will firstly interview prospective customers to establish their needs and find them a mortgage that suits their requirements and that they can afford in accordance with responsible lending legislation.
Mortgage Advisors often start in a customer service role in a bank of building society or as an mortgage administrator, you can then progress to giving mortgage advice with experience and once you have gained a Financial Services Authority approved qualification. You could get into the financial services industry via an apprenticeship.
- Good communication and listening skills
- The ability to explain complex information effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good mathematical and IT skills
- Honest and trustworthy
- Respect for other peoples confidential information
£18,000 to £25,000