The West Suffolk councils are two extremely ambitious and energetic local authorities, Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council, with a combined workforce of over 600 employees. Far from any preconceptions you may have, West Suffolk councils are a forward thinking and an innovative place to work, offering you high skills levels and a range of career opportunities.
We provide healthy, safe and vibrant places to live and work. Few other employers play such a pivotal role in the community. That's a great responsibility but also fantastically rewarding and something that really makes a difference.
Like many councils, our priorities are around growth, homes and families and communities. We have huge ambitions around making this area even more prosperous, creating jobs, building homes, ageing well - but again, so do many councils. What makes us stand out and makes us an exciting place to start your career is the sheer scale of the projects we are running.
As part of our commercial agenda, which is all about making up the gap in Government funding by creating our own income (rather than cutting services), we are:
- funding a huge solar farm (twice the size of other council owned facilities) to generate revenue and provide cheaper electricity to communities;
- creating a housing company to build our own homes for rent and sale;
- developing the Mildenhall Hub to bring education, leisure, health, police, council and other services together on to a single site, which we believe is a first in the country;
- And creating a shared operational hub, bringing together fleets and waste services of three councils into one depot.
What we do
Our services include:
- Environmental Services - collecting and recycling waste, cleaning our streets, and landscaping and maintaining public spaces.
- Housing - providing decent homes for our communities through building and adapting; maintaining the housing needs register and homelessness prevention.
- Planning - working with our communities to plan where jobs and homes will go, deciding planning applications, and providing building control, design and conservation services.
- Economic Development and Growth - attracting jobs and infrastructure funding to West Suffolk, developing skills needed in the workforce and ensuring the health of our high streets and market towns.
- Leisure and Heritage Management - with our fantastic parks and natural leisure spaces, museums, heritage centres, and the Apex venue.
- Families and Communities - working with communities to achieve their aspirations through things like funding, arts and sports development.
- Environmental Health - including environmental management and protection, dealing with energy, pollution, nuisance and registration and inspection of food establishments.
- Licensing - helps to control the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, late night refreshment, gambling, taxi and private hire services, small lotteries, charitable collections and much more.
- Elections - our democratic nature is what makes us different, and we organise and run all the elections in West Suffolk, as well as making sure that everyone eligible is able to vote through electoral registration.
Core professional services help the teams above to do their jobs, and include Human Resources, Finance, Legal, ICT and Property Services.
Apprenticeships - Get in and get on with West Suffolk
Ian Gallin- Chief Executive
"As chief executive of Forest Heath District and St Edmundsbury Borough Councils, I am a passionate believer in apprentices - I started my career as one.
Apprenticeships are about developing your key skills. Our two councils, (operating under the banner of West Suffolk), have a strong track record for developing apprentices and an award winning scheme. You will earn as you learn and boost your career progression, whether you stay in the public sector or not.
Starting as an apprentice was a kick start to my career. That valuable experience gave me a significant advantage in gaining my first job. An apprenticeship with us could do the same for you."
Ben Mannell - Trainee Business Advisor (Finance)
Ben came straight from finishing his GCSE exams into an apprenticeship in Finance - he didn’t even have his results when he started!
He completed a Level 2 apprenticeship in Finance which involved four days a week on the job and one day at college. He quickly progressed to the Level 3 apprenticeship, obtaining the AAT Level 3 qualification supported by college. Ben was then offered the post of Trainee Business Advisor and he is currently working towards his AAT Level 4 qualification.
“The Apprenticeship has been a great introduction to the world of work. I have built my confidence and my understanding of how organisations work. It has opened up my horizons to all the different opportunities that are available to me at work. My ambition is to carry on learning and become a Chartered Accountant.”
West Suffolk Apprentice Website: Go to our website and see videos and stories of other apprentices who have worked and progressed with us and see how an apprenticeship with West Suffolk could be your route to success.
Current Job Vacancies: See what we have to offer and our current apprentice vacancies.
Don't forget to follow us here on icanbea for the latest news, updates and opportunities.