Suffolk Coastal District Council
Suffolk Coastal District Council covers a vast area of east Suffolk (340 square miles) and incorporates the towns of Woodbridge and Felixstowe. It is run by 42 elected councillors and is split into 118 towns and parishes.
As a district council, Suffolk Coastal work with local partners (including charities, businesses and other public services providers like the police and the NHS) and residents to determine and deliver local priorities. We provide a wide range of services, either directly or by commissioning services from outside organisations. We largely work within the powers laid down under Acts of Parliament and also have the responsibility for the economic, social and environmental ’wellbeing’ of the area.
We have recently moved to new purpose built office accommodation in Melton, called 'East Suffolk House'. This is located at Riduna Park, opposite Melton railway station.
Employment and Apprentiships
Suffolk Coastal District Council employs around 310 people across the services listed above and other support services such as Human Resources, Legal, Finance and ICT. These employees can range from Apprentices through Support Assistants, Officers, Managers, Directors and the Chief Executive.
Salaries within the District Council are aligned to the Local Government Service Pay Scales and range from around £6,500 for apprentices right up to Directors at £80k + and usually start at the base level suggested for the grade of job you apply for.
Apprenticeship and Internship opportunities are often available and balance working with qualifications. The District Council together with the other District and Borough Councils and with the County Council are committed to offering support and opportunities for young people and all come together under the banner of ‘Rising High’.
Services and Responsibilities
Suffolk Coastal District Council is responsible for the following services:
- Environmental Services – Environmental Protection which deals with incidents of pollution and nuisance that arise within the district and Food and Safety which deals with registration and inspection of establishments in the district. There is also a big team based at the Port of Felixstowe
- Housing – operation of the housing register and allocations and homelessness prevention
- Planning and Coastal Management – development management, building control, design and conservation, coastal management and planning policy
- Economic Development and Regeneration – working on inward investment, business support, skills development, key sector support and physical regeneration. The team also provides support to projects to address transport issues and enhance district infrastructure
- Revenue and Benefits – the administration and payment of housing benefits, billing and collection of councils tax for both domestic and business properties
- Community Development – community engagement, the management of anti social behaviour and countryside and open space management
- Elections – organising and running all elections as well as dealing with electoral registration
- Licensing - manages a broad range of licensing that controls the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, late night refreshment, gambling, taxi and private hire services, small lotteries, charitable collections and much more
Responsibility for some services is shared with our partners, including:
- The Arts
- Parks and Gardens
- Car Parks
Apprentice Yazmin Gower
District Council Apprentice Yazmin Gower has this to say about working for the Council:
“I love working for the district council. I work within the HR Team. Throughout my apprenticeship, not only will I be working hard to receive my NVQ qualification, I will also be building up a brand new set of transferable skills to support my future career. Since starting my apprenticeship in Human Resources, five months ago, I have built up my self confidence within the work environment, and taken part in a range of exciting opportunities including organising an Awards ceremony, arranging our annual flu vaccinations, holding a charity event in aid of Suffolk MIND and interviewing for a vacancy at our Councils alongside multiple experienced managers”.
Find out more
For more information about the work we do and any opportunities that we have to offer, use the links provided to our website and follow us here on icanbea for all the latest news and updates.