Xplore has been one of the largest established independent youth travel providers for over 30 years, offering a range of activity, educational and cultural packages for children and young people, throughout the UK, Europe and worldwide on a residential, daily & boarding basis.
We are very aware that a company has to ‘feel’ right when you are looking for employment. We believe we are a company with a very sociable and friendly approach.
We are looking for Activity Instructors to work across the summer with us. Activity Instructors deliver safe, fun, outdoor adventure activity sessions for small groups of children or teenagers, according to the training they receive. You will receive in-house training on all our exciting activities, giving you a wide range of skills to prepare you for the summer ahead.
What will you do?
Deliver safe and enjoyable activity sessions for groups of approximately 12 Xplore participants on activities. We will train you up to gain National Governing Body awards for such activities as Archery and Climbing and you will also complete in-house training for many more activities to give you a wide range of skills to prepare you for the summer.
For 6 to 8 weeks from June to August each year, our Summer Language Camps are open across England. To our summer camps alone, we have had over 1,600+ students take part in our camps each year!
In order to provide our Language Camps and Day and Residential Activity Camps to so many, we employ over 100+ seasonal staff from EFL teachers and Activity Instructors, to Centre Managers and Camp Leaders.
2021 however will inevitably be a little different, although we are gearing up for a jam-packed summer. We will be offering in-school delivery programmes and school camps for Primary and Secondary Schools who have been unable to organise a trip this academic year, we then hope to have our Language Camps available for international children (UK Government regulations dependent) as well as our ever-popular Day and Residential Activity Camps for local children. We are also excited to launch our F1 in Schools programme, available to be delivered in-schools and at our camps throughout summer.
Hours of work 40 - 48 per week
Location: We have 3 across East Anglia
Contract: 1st July - 15th Aug, training from 7th - 18th June
- Be passionate about working with children and young adults.
- Attend internal and external training courses organised by Xplore.
- Support children in non-activity time with their needs.
- Be friendly and enthusiastic.
- Be familiar with your responsibilities in line with the company Welfare Policy & Prevent Strategy and proactively enforce these principles while working for Xplore.
- Supervise excursions and ensure groups leave/ arrive on time, as well as ensuring entrance times are met.
- Take responsibility for an activity area that you are competent in and ensure that Xplore guidelines are adhered to.
- Be able to oversee the safety and well being of children, and accompanying adults, under your instruction.
- Be flexible with working hours of the day to meet the demands of the job and willing to go ‘that extra mile’
- Supervise activities, which you will be trained and assessed in so you are able to lead.
- Be familiar with all the statements in the site specific Xplore Health & Safety Policy Statement and Company Culture to observe safe working methods.
- Plan appropriately for the activities that you are timetabled for.
- Follow the systems in place for equipment management and record keeping.
- Protect and conserve all properties belonging to the company.
- At least once per week carry out the duties for ‘Duty Day’
- Check communal rooms and external facilities;
- Supervise the orderly conduct of meals;
- Patrol the building after lights out to ensure all the children are settled;
- Secure the building;
- Report any incidents to senior staff.
- Assist any person requiring medical treatment or refer to a qualified First Aider.
- Assist in the changeovers for the arrival and departure of children in whatever capacity is required.
- Report any accident or near miss occurrence.
- Report faults on machinery, activity equipment, fabric of the building and vehicles.
- Assist in the checking and maintaining of activity equipment according to In-House training.
- Assist in the moving of equipment to and from Centres and the set-up, and takedown of that equipment when necessary.
- Gaining satisfactory DBS clearance.
We are looking for:
A confident communicator
Ability to instruct activities
Willingness to learn
Attention to detail
Flexible and adaptable approach to work
Welfare and safety of students
Delivering a high-quality Xplore experience to students
Engaging with students at all times
Contributing to fun atmosphere on-site
No previous experience required, we train all our staff to deliver top-notch Xplore activity sessions.
DBS clearance required
We are also looking to recruit for some specialist positions, so please tell us if you have any:
- STEM interests or hobbies
- Interest in Formula 1
- Qualified lifeguard
- Specialist NGB qualifications (e.g. Archery, Canoeing, Climbing)
- Anything you think is relevant and you can bring to the job…
How to apply
Contact: Simon Catton: HR Manager
T: 01449 778 296
The closing date for this job offer is on 18/06/2021
£262.40 - £427.28 per week less optional accommodation
This job is located in Stowmarket, Suffolk
How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.