An excellent opportunity to learn a wide range of skills and a good qualification working with farm livestock in a sector with plenty of long term employment opportunities.
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades 9-3 for an Intermediate L2 Apprenticeship. Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
- Your main job will be working in the indoor pig unit working with pigs from 7kg in weight through to fattening. There will also be some tractor driving and occasionally work with the ducks.
- You will learn all aspects of animal care and welfare and how to operate the relevant equipment.
- Feeding including weighing, rationing and nutrition, Bedding, housing, handling and moving livestock Health, welfare and biosecurity.
- Accurate record keeping and health and safety whilst working
- Maintenance of equipment and machinery
The work is mainly physical so it suits someone who is fit and happy to be on their feet for long periods. Animals require looking after every day so there will be some weekend work and a flexible attitude about when you work. You will need to be a good communicator who can keep you manager updated on any health and welfare issues.
You will be good at attention to detail, able to spot any changing conditions with the livestock. Have a strong work ethic and be reliable at time keeping. Enjoy working in a team but once trained be happy to do some work on your own. Accurate record keeping with clear legible writing is essential.
Looking after animals is rewarding but they need care every day so there will be some weekend work. The work is physical and can be messy so suits someone who is happy to be outside as well as inside.
The closing date for this job offer is on 01/03/2021
This job is located in Stowmarket
More Information and How to Apply
About Suffolk New College
Suffolk New College isn’t just a great place to learn – it’s a launch pad for your future. With top quality teaching staff and facilities, we’ll help you prepare for academic and career success.