We have a very exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Animal Keeper to join our Zoo Animal Management (ZAM) team and acquire specialist on the job training. These vacancies are only open to those aged 18 and over due to provisions under the Young People at Work regulations.
The apprentice keeper will work to a high standard under the direction of the senior ZAM staff. The ZAM department care for the main collection of animals at the zoo and the successful candidates will assist in caring for a variety of domestic and exotic species whilst also providing support for the rest of their respective team where required.
- Provide the highest level of husbandry according to the needs and requirements of the animals in your care to ensure that the animals are kept in the best physical and mental health possible, with consideration to budgetary constraints.
- Effectively work with the animals to minimise stress and risk of injury to all involved.
- Maintain a positive attitude within your working environment at all times.
- Undertake additional duties that will assist in the smooth running of the department.
- Comply at all times with department policies and procedures, paying particular attention to health & safety and administrative issues, to ensure they are appropriately followed.
- Continuously develop yourself through appropriate learning and development activities as agreed by line management in order to deliver excellence.
- Undertake other tasks as required.
No prior zoo or animal husbandry experience for the post of apprentice is required as full in house training will be given, although candidates will be expected to demonstrate a keen interest in zoo animal husbandry. The apprenticeship is expected to last between 12-13 months, applicants with level 2, 3 or degree level animal care qualifications are not eligible to apply.
Hours: Average 40 hours a week. A driving licence is preferred but not essential. Salary £3.90 per hour from 01st April and then minimum wage after first year, depending upon age.
This role is based at Africa Alive and there is no accommodation offered with this position. If you would like an opportunity to join our team please do the following:
Download an application form for this position then send it with a covering letter explaining why you would be a suitable candidate for this position, to: Louise Knock, Assistant Head Keeper, Africa Alive! Whites Lane. Kessingland NR33 7TF
Closing date for applications is 27th March 2019 – applications made after this date will not be considered.
Successful candidates that have be selected for interview will be contacted by telephone. Position to start end of April 2019.
The closing date for this job offer is on 27/03/2019
£3.90 per hour from 1st April and then minimum wage after first year (depending on age)
This job is located in Lowestoft
More Information and How to Apply
About Africa Alive
Set in 100 Suffolk acres, Africa Alive! is home to more than 80 species of animals from around Africa. From humble beginnings as Suffolk Wildlife park, the attraction was rebranded and hugely improved back in 2006 - now boasting specimens such as the fastest...