At Greene King we are proud to be the country's leading pub retailer and brewer, running over 3000 pubs, restaurants and hotels in towns, villages and high streets across the England, Wales & Scotland.
The Greene King Brewery has been evolving for over 220 years, starting as two neighbouring breweries. With the recent change in ownership, we start the latest chapter in the history of the brewery with a renewed focus on investing in plant, people and our brands. The strategic plan for the business is ambitious and will require us to work to deliver a brewery and brands that are fit and sustainable for the next generation of staff and consumers.
In this role you will be part of this change to better. We want to pass on the 220 years of brewing experience we have to the brewers of the future that will help us deliver beer to many generations to come.
If you want to become a brewer an apprenticeship is a great way to get started. Without the need for previous experience, you will be working towards a Level 4 Brewer Apprentice. During your time here you will get the chance to visit suppliers, create recipes for beers that will be launched to the market, attend beer festivals, go to industry events and take the exam for your professional qualifications (IBD General Certificate in Brewing).
While doing your apprenticeship, you will be training in different areas of the brewery and will shadow people multiple departments of the business, so you can gain a good understanding of what it is like to work in a complex brewing organisation.
In this role you will be mainly working alongside Greene King’s Craft Brewer and other stakeholders in the company to learn how the company operates, learn the brewer’s craft, drive change and innovate.
- Comply with completion requirements for the Apprenticeship set by HIT Training within 24 months of the start of the apprenticeship
- 1 day off the job learning per week (i.e. different departments in the company)
- Conform to all Health & Safety requirements and take an active role in positive health and safety behaviours in the Brewery.
- Assist with changes that affect plant efficiency
- Comply with Quality in-line with Greene King Quality policies.
- Proactively influence product quality and lead root cause focus problem solving.
- Comply with all legal production requirements for the business.
- Work to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Plant preparation, automatic/manual cleaning and checking of all plant to ensure that it is clean and fit for purpose prior to use.
- Monitoring and recording of all processes and liquid movements.
- Ensuring that all production areas are maintained in a clean, tidy manner with Housekeeping & Hygiene an essential part of the role.
- Ensure sampling schedule is met for analysis and Quality Control.
- Effective communication with Shift Managers, Team Leaders and fellow Operators.
- Report any process or plant failures to the appropriate departments.
We want passionate people to help us improve things and are not afraid of asking or making mistakes. If you think this could be you, we will be looking forward to your application!
What you can expect from us?
Competitive salary, pension contribution scheme & private medical insurance
Up to 33% discount across all our sites for you and your friends and family
33 days holiday (including bank holidays) and the opportunity to buy additional days.
Free onsite parking
An employee advice and guidance service and the healthcare service, Best Doctors.
As one of the industry's leading apprenticeship providers, we can offer training and development at any stage of your career, whatever step you decide to take
- Collaborative work ethic with a determination to learn.
- Able to work safely and in adherence to all Operating procedures.
- Understanding of and a passion for the beer industry, especially modern beer styles and the craft beer industry.
- Knowledge of new and old-world beer styles, including current trends, hop varieties, and technical innovations
Minimum of 5 GCSE’s, including Maths and English, at Grade C or above or their equivalent;
- A can-do attitude.
- Understanding of and a passion for beer industry, especially modern beer styles and the craft beer industry.
- Desire and drive to develop new beers, ideas and their own knowledge/skills.
The closing date for this job offer is on 16/07/2022
£11.67 per hour
This job is located in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.