Barratt Homes have been nationally recognised as a 5 star house builder thirteen years in a row, that’s more than any other major house builder. This is because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building.
You will work with experienced trade specialists towards gaining a level 2 Bricklayer Apprenticeship qualification with a highly reputable national construction company. Your training will be on site and in block weeks at college.
What you will do in your working day
You’ll learn both on the job and during intensive residential training weeks at college. All accommodation, travel and subsistence is paid for during the block weeks and you’ll start off with three weeks in college, returning home each weekend. This will prepare you to fully contribute as soon as you get on site.
Duties to be confirmed:
- Set out and build brickwork, including complex arches and surrounding brickwork, curved on plan, concave and convex brickwork and battered brickwork
- Select appropriate tools, equipment and materials (eg trowel, levels, brick ties, DPC, insulation, mixers, lintels etc) for use when setting out and erecting masonry walling . Maintain a clean working environment.
- Select materials and resources to be able to set out and lay concrete, drainage and other substructure materials
You will then return to college approximately every 20 weeks, for a two-week block of intensive training.
During your apprenticeship, you will be expected to complete the Barratt Training Manual along with your site and college work within agreed time limits and standards. You will need to be consistent at gathering quality work-based evidence, work with your colleagues to learn and develop your trade skills and communicate politely with lecturers, customers and colleagues.
On a typical day you will be required to:
- Safely use and maintain hand tools
- Safely use and maintain portable power tools
- Safely use and maintain other equipment
Bricklayer Level 2
This apprenticeship will give you the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to work as a Bricklayer and will include the following:
- Health and safety to include Control of Substances Hazardous to Health, Manual Handling and Working at Height Regulations, use of PPE etc.
- Understand the principles of high quality customer service and communication to enable you to gain and keep a valued reputation in industry with clients, colleagues and industry representatives such as suppliers and manufacturers
- Understand the different eras, types of construction methods, insulation considerations, sustainability, facilities management, fire, moisture and air protection, fireplaces and chimneys, damp proof courses and the use of brick ties
- You will also produce a portfolio of evidence demonstrating examples of your work throughout the apprenticeship
- Attendance at York College on a block release basis. The qualification achieved will be Bricklayer Apprenticeship level 2.
- GCSE or equivalent English and Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
- GCSE or equivalent in another subject (grade 4/C) Desired
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Team working, Physical fitness
On completion of this apprenticeship, the apprentice will have satisfied the requirements to obtain a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card at the appropriate level. Apprentices will progress to a wide range of employment opportunities in the workplace. Self-employment or starting a business may also be an option. Candidates may also progress on to higher-level qualifications.
The closing date for this job offer is on 31/07/2024
This job is located in Cambridge, Cambs
How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.