At Aviva we truly believe new ideas and perspectives are invaluable. So we are looking for individuals with a curious mind, a customer focus and a real passion for technology and software development to join us as Apprentice Software Developers.
About the role
You will have a unique opportunity to develop a fantastic career within the UK’s largest insurer whilst working towards the software developer Level 4 qualification.
Our Digital teams are doing phenomenal things; we built the award winning customer portal ‘My Aviva’ which has been so successful its now a global platform, we develop all of our own mobile apps and we were even awarded Digital Insurance Company of the year at the Data, Analytics & Technology Awards for Insurance!
Not only will you get to work on phenomenal interesting and challenging projects, but you will also be working alongside a highly capable and experienced team of digital professionals.
In our Web & Mobile department we improve existing products, craft new products and platforms and maintain our existing applications. We work reciprocally in small teams to build high quality solutions that meet our customers’ needs, first time.
You will receive training to do a variety of tasks including:
- Writing and testing code for our Web or Mobile Applications
- Using distributed version control systems to maintain our solutions’ source code
- Applying software design patterns to commonly encountered coding problems
- Using Behaviour Driven Development practices to deliver quality solutions
As a Software Developer Apprentice you will work towards the Level four, an accredited apprenticeship scheme with an industry recognised qualification.
Throughout the duration of your studies you will spend a large proportion of your time learning on the job, and working in your team. Dedicated ‘off the job’ time to focus on your studies and working with a National Training Provider to support your accredited learning will be given.
As Apprenticeships are about learning new skills or deepening your knowledge. So, to apply for one of our Apprenticeships you must -
- NOT have a qualification in the same subject or field, that’s higher than the qualification you will study as part of this Apprenticeship.
- NOT already have studied the same Apprenticeship.
You will need to be able to demonstrate confidence, flexibility, and motivation and be committed to developing yourself to build a long-term career in Aviva.
All applicants require a minimum Level 2 in English and Maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C) If you have not already achieved level 2 English and Maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C) funding and support will be provided so you can complete this before you can qualify as an Apprentice
You will also hold a Minimum of either of the below:
- 5 GCSE’s A-C this must include English and Maths also preferably an IT or business related subject , OR:
- A-levels at grade A-C, a Level 3 apprenticeship or other equivalent qualifications.
Desirable Knowledge & Skills
- Natural curiosity, initiative and innovation
- Evidence of programming interests (i.e. examples of own code)
- Desire to learn
- Good problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
- A great teammate, networking across the virtual team
- Performance driven
- Owning personal development
For further details and information on how to apply, use the More Info button below.
This job is located in Norwich, Norfolk
About AVIVA plc
Aviva is a life, general and health insurance business, and provides asset management services. We are the largest insurer in the UK and we have strong businesses in selected international markets. Our products help 34 million customers enjoy the peace of mind...