SGA Technologies ltd are a manufacturing company, making glass to metal seals and technical plating. SGA is a relatively small company. The candidate will be office based, but will need to work with factory environment for 40-50% of the time working on products and testing. We have three sites 2 in Saffron Walden and one in Newmarket. This position is only for Saffron Walden.
Investigating and helping to solve production problems including:
- Yield issues
- Quality issues
- Process issues
- Customer issues
These may be addressed by:
- Data collection and analysis
- Testing (developing and implementing test strategies whilst recording and analysing results)
- Supporting implementation of Equipment and process improvements
- Supporting the more complex aspects of testing (product) within the business
- Producing, and supporting the production of, documentation such as operating instructions, work instructions and safety instructions etc.
- Collecting and analysing engineering data such as yields and test data
Use of computer aided design to produce drawings and models to support all aspects of the business including:
- New products
- Product improvement
NPI (new product introduction):
- Becoming involved in product design
- Preproduction testing and prototype production
- Supporting verification and validation
Technical support of quality function including:
- Supporting production of FAI (first article inspection) reports
- Supporting production of PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documentation and submissions
- Supporting investigations of customer claims and returns
This is a, potentially, non-exhaustive list of a general engineering function. As the apprenticeship progresses the apprentice may “concentrate” on a more specific function, i.e.
- Production engineer
- Process engineer
- Development/NPI engineer
- Quality engineer
Training to be provided
The learner will be studying the Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard qualification
After a period of foundation skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications
Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
After a further period of skills and technical knowledge development all apprentices will be required to achieve the following qualifications:
Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) –Mechatronics Maintenance Technician
Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
Day release to West Suffolk College.
Functional skills will be studied if equivalent qualifications are not held.
GCSE or equivalent 5 Subjects, including Maths and English (Grade 5-9) Essential
Desired skills and personal qualities
Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Team working, Initiative
Things to consider
The learner is required to be able to address the full range and lifecycle of engineering within the business. Having said that it may well be that certain specialisms are focused on by specific engineers.
An engineering apprentice at SGA is envisaged as progressing to a fully rounded engineer over the period of the apprenticeship. This is expected to also result in a general engineering qualification of at least HNC level (or equivalent).
The closing date for this job offer is on 31/03/2024
This job is located in Saffron Walden, Essex
How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.