Applications for this role are now closed.
Apprentice Equine Centre Team Member
Posted: 07/11/2023 12:05
Location: Hainford EC
Deadline: 21/11/2023 23:59
Job Type: Apprenticeship
Apprentice Horse Care Team Member
Contract Type: Fixed Term (12 months plus one month rolling)
Hours: 30hpw as per rota (to include weekends)
Location: North of Norwich, Hainford
Salary: £8,236.80 per annum
Redwings is a national animal welfare charity responsible for over 2,000 rescued horses, ponies and donkeys across the UK.
Working for Redwings means you can make a real difference in the lives of those horses in our care and thousands like them. And it means you will be part of a supportive and progressive workplace that puts the welfare of its horses and its people at the heart of everything.
- To provide high quality care that ensures all equines have access to suitable water, feed and shelter and to ensure that hygiene is maintained.
- To ensure stables/shelters are mucked out thoroughly, water receptacles are clean and refilled, hay nets filled and weighed.
- To ensure instructions regarding the feeding of equines is followed stringently.
- To give a visual health check to the equines including lameness
- To inform senior staff of equine ailments and needs.
- Medication will be prescribed to some of the equines under your care, this you will expected to give on your rounds,
- To ensure paddocks are checked for hazards and clean.
- The catching and holding of nervous horses for the farrier and /or veterinary purposes.
- The grooming, trimming and bathing of equines, with the application and checking of rugs.
- Transporting of equines safely – as an assistant of horsebox/trailer – subject to training.
- General use of tack and equine handling equipment.
- To understand the importance of effective communication, observation and unified team work.
- To liaise regularly with your line manager.
- To be an effective team member.
What we need from YOU
- MUST be 16+ with a GCSE/Equivalent D in Math and English
- Resident in the UK/EEA for the last three consecutive years
- Must not have a qualification in a similar subject at the same level or above
- Must not be in any form of formal government-funded education upon the start of their apprenticeship
- A sound knowledge and proven background of caring of equines.
- Ability to prioritise and to make intelligent decisions.
- To be able to relate and understand information both written and verbally.
- Communication skills. I.T. etc.
- Able to integrate into an established team.
- Flexible approach to tasks and workloads
- A commitment to Equine Welfare
- The ability to spot something is potently wrong, observing changes in Equines.
What WE can offer
- Competitive salary
- Cycle2work Scheme
- Death in Service Benefit
- Sick Pay Scheme
- Extra Annual Leave Entitlement
- Wellbeing Support
- Additional Pay**
The closing date for this job offer is on 21/11/2023
£8,236.80 per annum
This job is located in Hainford
More Information and How to Apply
About Redwings Horse Sanctuary
We rescue abandoned, mistreated and neglected horses and donkeys from across the UK, giving them a safe place to live and providing essential veterinary treatment, rehabilitation and lifelong care.