About the employer
Waveney House was the only large house in the street until the late 19th century and has been owned by some of the most prominent people of Beccles, north Suffolk.
In the mid 16th century it was owned by William Rede I, the first of three generations of that name. He owned a lot of property in the town, but this is likely to have been where he lived, for he was a merchant, and there was a large staithe for loading and unloading goods beside the house. He was by far the richest person in Beccles and amongst the commoners of Suffolk, he was second only in wealth to the Springs of Lavenham. His family were in open hostility to the people of Beccles for 50 years, about of course – money.
John Leman was the next owner of the house. He carried on a tanning business here and in Gillingham with such success that one of his sons, Sir John Leman, was able to become a member of one of the great London Guilds, the Fishmonger’s Guild and finally Lord Mayor of London. Sir John made his wealth by trade, and had agents in London and Essex buying cheese and butter for delivery by sea to London. He and a few others appear to have cornered the market which enabled them to sell at an inflated price, so much that there were butter riots in London at the end of the 16th Century.
His brother William Leman continued his father’s trade of tanning, as did his son John between them they were portreeves of Beccles at least four times.
Rota over Monday to Sunday 5/7days a week. 40 Hours a week. Total hours per week: 40.00
This is a fantastic opportunity to join this luxury hotel as an apprentice events coordinator. You will assist in all areas of the events role in which a large part will be weddings.
Assisting with the day to day management of the Wedding & Events department to include but not be limited to the below;
- Provide effective co-ordination of all Weddings, Events and Meetings
- Conduct show rounds for Weddings and Events, ensuring that correct information is given to the appropriate enquiry. Your ability in making brides feel welcome and ensuring they buy into what we do is essential
- Up selling opportunities are identified
- Forge great relationships and deliver effective communication between all departments
- Produce accurate wedding forms and function sheets for each event with clear billing instructions and communicate these to, all relevant departments
- Maximise revenue through regular communication
- Ensure all booking information is recorded accurately
- Ensuring that all brochures, packages and information is up to date and readily available
- Promote a helpful and professional image to the customer, giving full co-operation to any customer requiring attention
- Anticipate customer needs whenever possible to enhance the quality of service offered by the property, to ensure customer loyalty is maintained
- Setting up events/weddings
- Running Events/Weddings or acting as second in command when required
The closing date for this job offer is on 19/11/2018
This job is located in Beccles, Suffolk
More Information and How to Apply
What is icanbea...? This website offers you an insight into Norfolk and Suffolk's most successful organisations, showing you how they fit into our growing economy and highlighting the career and training opportunities they could offer you.