This event has taken place.
The NCSC will once again be running the CyberFirst Girls Competition in 2020 but this year we have changed the format slightly.
Each year we try to improve the user experience of the competition and this year is no exception. To encourage and recognise participation from all parts of the UK, we will extend the online qualifier round to 10 days and introduce a semi-final round. (See the semi-final page for further information).
The competition is aimed at Year 8 girls in England and Wales, Year 9 in Northern Ireland and S2 in Scotland. We made a deliberate shift in age group in 2018 to give as many girls as possible the opportunity to find out more about cyber security with a view to potentially influencing the subjects they take at GCSE (or equivalent).
The content for each category of the competition is consistent with subjects within the Computer Science syllabus from both the National Curriculum and Scotland’s Curriculum for Excellence. However, the competition will contain some advanced cyber topics that are not covered in traditional education but will seek to stretch the lateral thinking and additional cyber knowledge of the teams.
What you need to know:
- Teams are made up of up to four female students in Year 8, S2 or Year 9 (NI).
- Teams need to be supported by a responsible adult appointed by the school who is aged over 18 years and who can act as the team guardian.
- Team guardians do not need to have any cyber knowledge or be an IT or computer science teacher. Their role is to register the teams and facilitate access to the competition.
- Schools can enter as many teams as they like if they fit the qualifying criteria (see above).
- The semi-final round will be self-funded by the school.
- The Grand Final will be fully funded by the NCSC.
Key dates for your diary:
- 2nd December 2019 - Registration opens
- 13th to 22nd January 2020 - Qualifier round
- 8th February 2020 - semi-final day
- 15/16th March 2020 - Grand Final
When and Where
This event took place on 08/02/2020 in England
What is icanbea...? This website offers you an insight into Norfolk and Suffolk's most successful organisations, showing you how they fit into our growing economy and highlighting the career and training opportunities they could offer you.