Our volunteer Form Filling Advisers aid clients with disabilities throughout Norfolk. The help they offer comes via assisting clients in completing benefit claim forms, currently with a strong focus on PIP.
This is a great opportunity for you to learn all about benefits available to disabled people, from finding out about conditions of entitlement to learning how to make the best case for a client. Whether you already have some knowledge and you want to make use of this to help others, or if you have no experience and are keen to learn, this role could provide you with an interesting and challenging volunteering opportunity.
The form filling Adviser role will involve assisting our clients with the following:
• Assisting them to make claims, including support with form filling
• Offering information by telephone or email
• Signposting or referring clients on to other organisations where appropriate.
• Keeping accurate and up to date case notes
• Ongoing learning to ensure knowledge is kept up to date and accurate
Full training is available to provide you with the skills and knowledge required to carry out this.
- An awareness of disabling barriers and how these might impact upon clients, their families and carers
- Honesty and integrity
- An ability to be empathic, whilst maintaining professional boundaries
- Reliability, and only committing to a level of volunteering which is realistic
- Good interpersonal skills
- Confident and outgoing
- The ability to be non-judgemental
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Sound administrative skills, and an ability to maintain accurate case records
- Commitment to attend training courses and team meetings
- Ability to follow organisational policies and procedures including safeguarding, data protection and health and safety
This role can be carried out on site or remotely, we will supply you with an Equal Lives email address and mobile phone if you are working remotely, and if working on site you will have your own Equal Lives email and access to a computer and work phone.
All volunteers are required to undertake our core training programme. This covers basic safeguarding and other key features, such as data protection.
All volunteers are required to be able to visit our offices to perform the necessary DBS and data protection checks.
New volunteers will have an opportunity to ‘shadow’ experienced volunteers and members of staff.
Volunteers are required to adhere to the organisation’s policies and practice guidelines.
Reasonable expenses, including travel whilst undertaking this role will be reimbursed. This includes mileage (currently £0.45 p/mile) and parking costs.
Applications must include 2 satisfactory references from individuals who have known you in a professional or educational capacity for at least 12 months. Applicants must complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check before any volunteering can commence.
Although you are required to do your training during office hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday, we are flexible to how many hours you wish to volunteer for and how long, in terms of months, you want to volunteer with us for, so long as it is above 6 months.
The closing date for this job offer is on 31/07/2022
This job is located in Norwich, Norfolk
How to Apply
About Equal Lives
We are a disability rights organisation based in Norfolk and Suffolk. We exist to support people of any age who face disabling barriers and we are dedicated to making their voices heard. We are a user led organisation (ULO), meaning we are led by peop...