RAF Mildenhall,is a Royal Air Force (RAF) station located near Mildenhall in Suffolk, England.
Despite its status as a Royal Air Force station, it primarily supports United States Air Force (USAF) operations, and is currently the home of the 100th Air Refueling Wing (100 ARW).
On 8 January 2015, the United States Department of Defense announced that operations at RAF Mildenhall would end and be relocated to Germany (Spangdahlem Air Base) and elsewhere within the UK. After a period of uncertainty it was confirmed in July 2020 that the relocation of operations would no longer take place and that Mildenhall would remain open until at least 2027
They provide local employment to UK residents as part of their civilian workforce and are currently seeking a Fuel Distribution Systems Mechanic
As a member of the 100th Civil Engineering Squadron, you will inspect, install, repair, replace and modify liquid fuel storage and distribution systems and assist in the repair of aircraft re-fuelling equipment and their electrical components. You will inspect, test and perform preventive maintenance, troubleshoot, repair and modify on all aspects of the fuel system. You will remove, install, repair, and troubleshoot component parts of fuel systems to correct malfunctions of centrifugal and rotary pumps, manually operated ball valves, hydraulically-operated diaphragm-type valves, pilot control systems, tank gauges and vents, filter separators, fuel flow meters, hydrant outlets, differential pressure gauges, and truck loading and fill connections. You will perform modification of systems in accordance with applicable manuals, technical publications, and manufacturer’s specifications. You will troubleshoot, repair and test equipment installed in vehicle gas stations and truck loading fill stands. Perform liquid calibration of fuel storage tanks and flow meters. Check interior and exterior of tanks for corrosion, leakage, contamination, sludge, liquid level gauges, product recovery systems etc. Inspect entire fuel distribution system and components to detect possible explosive and toxic hazards and system deficiencies. You will troubleshoot and repair problems in the electrical components of liquid fuel distribution systems. Utilise safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment. Participate in cleaning the interior surface of bulk storage tanks, above and below ground, by entering tanks.
Knowledge and Experience Required
Applicants must demonstrate the following
• Skill and techniques used to measure, cut, thread, join, weld and fit piping and tubing.
• Knowledge of, or through similar experience an aptitude for understanding fuel distribution and storage systems; the physical properties and hazards associated with the handling of various types of petroleum fuels; and of preventive maintenance and inspection techniques as applied to fuel distribution and storage systems.
• Skill in calibration of or an aptitude for understanding dispensing systems and tank and pressure gauges.
• Ability to analyse deficiencies and diagnose malfunctions of system components is required.
• Knowledge of the troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of electrical components such as electric motors, disconnect switches, starters, contactors, solenoids, and magnetic switches is desirable.
• Experience of utilising safety practices and procedures, following established safety rules and maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
• Knowledge of safety regulations, procedures, and practices.
Other Important Information
• Hours of work will be 0800 – 1630, Monday to Friday. Maybe required to work other than normal duty hours.
• The work will require that the employee be certified or able to be certified in the use of a respirator.
• The work will require that the employee be certified or able to be certified as qualified for entry into hazardous liquid fuel tanks for inspection, cleaning, and repair.
• The incumbent must attain all certifications required for the position within six months of employment and re-qualify as required.
• Incumbent will be required to complete MOD/HSE/USVF Confined Space (explosive atmosphere) training and the required medical testing for pressurised air rescue. Failure to complete the required certifications within 6 months of employment due to employee negligence will result in separation from the position. If failure to obtain certifications is due to circumstances outside the employee's control, management will work with the employee to satisfy the requirements within a reasonable time-frame.
• The incumbent must hold a NVQ Level 2 Welding and Mechanical Engineering certification, or HND/HNC/BTEC, City and Guilds, NVQ or equivalent qualifications in an appropriate discipline.
Please provide copies of certifications with your application.
• The work will require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. Minimum category ‘B’ driver’s license will be required for this position. Please provide a copy of your driving licence with your application.
• A pre-employment physical examination will be required.
• Work is performed inside and outside and subject will work around machinery or moving parts.
• When necessary the subject will be expected to wear protective clothing and safety devices such as protective eyeglasses, ear devices, hard hats, hard-toe shoes, respirators and gloves possibly for long period of times.
• May be required to travel by military or commercial aircraft to attend necessary training or in the performance of duties.
• May be assigned other duties not included in this position description, but that are appropriate to the grade and skill set of the employee.
• Position may be coded as mission essential.
• Paid Annual Leave
• Paid Sick Leave
• Pension Scheme
• Life Assurance Scheme
Who Can Apply
Citizens of the U.K., Nationals of European Community (EC) Countries, and Commonwealth Citizens,
other Foreign Nationals, and Stateless persons provided no restrictions have been imposed as a condition of continued residency in the UK.
Applicants who have a minimum of five years consecutive residency in the UK are considered for this position; however, those who do not meet this criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All successful applicants will require a security clearance.
Please note pre-appointment security clearance requirements may delay start date.
Proof of identification in the form of a photo ID will be required, for example a driving licence or current passport.
This position may have certain restrictions to US citizens due to the Status of Forces Agreement.
For additional information contact the LNDH team on 01638 544955.
How To Apply
Interested candidates must complete an application form obtainable from the Civilian Personnel
04-28-085219-410. All applications, with relevant attachments and CV must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and received prior to the closing date.
Equal Opportunity Employer
There will be no discrimination in employment practices based on gender, age, marital status, disability, race, nationality, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation, being or not being a member of a
The closing date for this job offer is on 28/02/2021
£12.77 per hour
This job is located in MIldenhall, Suffolk
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.