Applications for this role are now closed.
Graduate Software Engineer
- Do you have a passion for technology, with experience of building and troubleshooting code in a variety of situations?
- Do you want to work in a role where you do meaningful work, making an immediate impact on colleague and customer experience in an organisation that is leading the way in its sector for digital disruption?
- Do you want to work at a company that will empower you to be your best self at work?
If so, a Graduate Software Engineer role may be the right route for you. At Aviva, we truly believe new ideas and perspectives are invaluable. So, if you have a curious mind, a customer focus and a love of technology please read on!
About the role
Technology at Aviva is an exciting place to be! We’re the UK’s largest insurer, a FTSE 100 company and a global leader. Awarded Digital Insurance Company of the year at the Data, Analytics & Technology Awards for Insurance, our Technology community is among the best resourced and most talented anywhere.
We work collaboratively in small teams to build high quality solutions that meet our customers’ needs, first time: whether delivering tools internally to meet the wider needs of the organisation or producing innovative technology like the award winning “My Aviva” customer portal and “Aviva Drive".
As a Graduate Software Engineer, we'll equip you with the technical tools and hands-on experience to succeed, as well as giving you the time and support to study for industry-recognised Cloud certifications, and access to Pluralsight to continually build your technical skill.
From the beginning we'll get you working on interesting and challenging projects alongside a community of highly capable and experienced technology professionals. You’ll learn to act as an agent of change, bringing in fresh eyes and thoughts to how we work. Your work will include enhancing existing products, creating new products and platforms and maintaining our existing applications, by:
- Writing and testing software code for our applications
- Using version control systems to maintain our software code base
- Focus on software development techniques as well as software language
- Developing yourself and later others in the Software Engineering community
- Have or be on track for a 2:2 Degree, preferably in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) related subject
- You will also need a minimum of 5 x GCSE’s or Scottish National 5’s at A-C grade (4-9) (or equivalent) from prior study – this must include English and Maths
- Have significant experience of coding – whether as a part of your studies or as an outside passion. We’ll ask you to share examples of what you have built and troubleshoot code as part of our selection process
- Be flexible, able to adapt and change quickly to different situations
- Be comfortable talking about your work, and explaining concepts and decisions to other
- Possess good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Have a love of learning and be working to continually improve
- Have a genuine interest in technology
What will you get for this role?
- Starting salary from £25,000 (depending on skills, experience and qualifications)
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras”, plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
The recruitment process:
We live Aviva's values, with a culture of continually challenging and improving what we do and how we do it. We invest in our people, expecting curiosity and a courageous mindset. We will assess your strengths as well as understanding how connected and aligned to our values you are throughout the process.
The process itself is:
- Make an online application – this will include answering a short questionnaire and attaching your CV
- If you pass the initial screen you will be have a short telephone interview
- Pass that and you’ll be sent some online tests
- And if you do well in these, there’s an assessment day
If you like the sound of all that, we’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you need an alternative method of applying, please give Daniela Krol a call on: 0121 234 7660 or ping them an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for this job offer is on 01/04/2020
£25,000 (depending on skills, experience and qualifications)
This job is located in Norwich, Norfolk
More Information and How to Apply
About AVIVA plc
Aviva is a life, general and health insurance business, and provides asset management services. We are the largest insurer in the UK and we have strong businesses in selected international markets. Our products help 34 million customers enjoy the peace of mind...