This is a great opportunity to begin a career in painting and decoration with a large and prestigious local firm.
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship. PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
Vacancy Full Description
The apprentice will be supported to cover the following criteria and knowledge requirements:
- The purpose of a range of equipment, tools and material
- The characteristics of materials and their reaction to atmospheric conditions.
- Safe and efficient methods of use, maintenance, movement, protection and storage of materials and equipment.
- Work hazards, safe working methods and appropriate safety requirements.
- How to work at height including the safe use of platforms, steps, ladders and scaffold.
- The most appropriate products and use of colour in different settings.
- The company’s services.
- Methods of formal and informal communication.
- The uses of information technology in the workplace.
- Principles of costing, pricing and budgeting.
- Time, scheduling and costs associated with a project
- Key factors and systems of working in different sectors, such as occupied properties, health and education facilities where residents, patients and students may be present.
- Key differences between modern and traditional construction methods.
- Differences of each product type for example, water-borne, solvent borne and epoxy.
- Drying, curing and recoating times.
- The effect of colour in relation to good design and colour and contrast for people with impaired vision.
- The causes of common problems, how these can be prevented and how to correct them.
- Data sheets, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health sheets, method statements and risk assessments.
- Difference in systems for new and pre- decorated surfaces.
- Types of preparation methods including removal of previous coatings and wallcoverings using hand tools, power tools and chemicals.
- Traditional and modern methods of making good surfaces.
- Different systems for metals, wood, plastic and factory finishes.
- Techniques of application by brush, roller, pressure assisted roller and spray application.
- Specialist decorative techniques for example, graining, marbling and gilding.
- The skills of removal and application of wallcoverings
Able to work well in a team with a good communication skills.
Ideally the successful candidate will have a passion for precise excellent work, work with the desire to learn the painting and decorating trade. You will appreciate the importance of good time keeping along with the flexibility on hours to meet business requirements.
Prospects of a full time role with further training and development are excellent for the right person who proves to be hard working, flexible and dedicated to complete their apprenticeship successfully.
Training to be Provided
Painters and Decorators operate in domestic and commercial properties and undertake the decoration and protection of buildings. They are responsible for their own work using a range of methods and application of paint coating and wallcoverings to a high quality finish ensuring, also complying to statutory, safety and environmental requirements. The apprentice will complete an End point Assessment to demonstrate that they can perform knowledge, skills and behaviours in their occupation.
The closing date for this job offer is on 14/05/2021
This job is located in Thwaite
More Information and How to Apply
About Suffolk New College
Suffolk New College isn’t just a great place to learn – it’s a launch pad for your future. With top quality teaching staff and facilities, we’ll help you prepare for academic and career success.