Dispensing Doctors Surgery based in Holbrook and Shotley. Both surgeries have busy dispensaries which issue prescribed drugs to eligible patients.
Both surgeries are well equipped, purpose designed buildings and are conveniently situated in the centres of their villages employing 50+ staff with and four GP Partners.
Holbrook and Shotley Surgery are a dispensing Doctors Surgery based in Holbrook and Shotley. Both surgeries are well equipped and purpose designed buildings, employing 50+ staff with and four GP Partners. They have an opportunity for two apprentices to join the team based at both of the surgeries.
We are excited to be able to advertise for an Apprentice Dispenser to join our team. Our surgery sites are both busy and we dispense medication to the majority of our patients. The successful candidates will work alongside an experienced and dedicated team of qualified dispensers.
Daily Duties and Responsibilities
Counter Assistant Duties:
- Hand out prescriptions and pre-dispensed items and collect payment as necessary. Payment needs to be recorded into the till and the correct change given. Some items need to be recorded in a separate book. Controlled Drugs will be given out with a second dispenser.
- Deal with queries relating to prescriptions as necessary. This may mean liaising with another dispenser or with other members of staff or GPs.
- Respond to needs of doctors and nurses during surgery.
- Ensure refrigerated items are stored correctly and maintain temperature control record book.
- Ensure incoming stock is dealt with promptly and stock is rotated to avoid out of date items.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness on shelves and work surfaces.
- Ensure dispensary equipment is kept clean and in good working order.
- Input and extract information from Practice computer system – this may be needed to answer a query from a patient or to find information about a drug.
- Communications. Dispensary meetings are usually at lunch time or early afternoon and you may swap hours if these fall outside your contracted hours. All staff receive a monthly newsletter and it is essential that you read this to keep up to date with current information. The Practice computer system also has a message facility and you should check at least once daily for messages. You will also be issued with a secure email address, which should be checked at least daily.
- Undertake any training necessary to ensure continued safe and efficient performance.
- Observe health and safety guidelines at all times.
- Participate in washing up.
Apprenticeship duties – working towards:
- Ensure dispensing procedures are carried out adhering to Practice Standard Operating Procedures including (but not limited to): correct labelling, appropriate cautions and warnings, FP10 completed and claims made correctly.
- Participate in weekly monitored dose system orders.
- Ensure outstanding queries are explained and handed over to next shift as necessary.
- Ensure drug alerts are dealt with promptly.
- The Dispensary provides a vital service to our patients and you will be supported by qualified dispensers and also work alongside Doctors, Nurses, receptionists and the wider practice staff. There is an opportunity to learn many aspects of working in a NHS Primary Care environment.
Good standard of general education
GCSE Mathematics Grade C or above, or equivalent, is essential.
GCSE English Grade C or above, or equivalent, is essential.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- IT Skills
- Clear, polite telephone manner
- Time management and the ability to work to deadlines
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Smart, polite and confident
- Planning and organising
- Performing under pressure
- Using initiate
- Team working
- Self motivated
Full Level 2 Pharmacy Services Assistant Apprenticeship
Things to consider
Applicants will need to be willing to work at both sites; Holbrook (IP9 2QS) and Shotley (IP9 1ND). Working within NHS Primary care can be challenged but enormously rewarding, it is a fast paced sometimes demanding environment. It is a great opportunity to experience working in a close team who pride themselves on delivering the best possible services to our patients within a supportive and nurturing environment.
The Pharmacy Services Assistant Level 2 qualification and opportunity to work in a busy general practice can lead to a career as a confident and competent Dispenser. As well as working for the Holbrook and Shotley Practice there are wider opportunities with the NHS and community pharmacy for future development.
The closing date for this job offer is on 19/03/2021
£124 per week
This job is located in Holbrook, Ipswich, Suffolk
More Information and How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.