We are an organisation committed to making a difference to local people. Caring for and supporting people has become central to what we do. Orwell lives by its values – we understand it’s the little things that can make the biggest difference and making a difference together is at the heart of what we do.
We are one of the Top 25 Best Housing Associations and one of the Top 75 Best Companies in the East of England to work for, as well as a Silver Standard Investors in People accredited organisation
Are you an experienced individual with qualifications in Plumbing or Carpentry?
Orwell Housing Association provides homes for over 7,500 residents throughout Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, and Cambridge.
We are an organisation whose values are at the core of everything we do, and we have an underlying belief that Together we make a difference.
We are looking for a considerate and conscientious individual to join our in-house Orwell Repairs Service.
The role purpose is to provide a customer-focused, effective, and cost-efficient repairs service to Orwell’s customers.
As part of this role, you will:
- Work in line with Orwell’s vision of fixing repairs first time, improving quality and providing a positive first response
- Work on your own initiative to ensure that ‘call backs’ to repairs are minimised and that ‘fix right first time’ repairs are maximised
- Deal with tenant enquiries professionally and courteously
- Liaise closely with Head Office staff in the notification and reporting of repairs progress
You will be solutions focused and will deliver solutions and ideas that overcome the challenges faced by our customers and communities. You will adopt our Orwell values of P A C E.
People-focused – people are at the heart of our business. By recognising people’s diverse needs and strengths and treating everyone fairly we can both serve our customers better and support our teams to run a brilliant business and improve services. We will work together as Team Orwell to achieve our ambitions.
Ambitious – we are ambitious to grow the organisation so that it can do more and realise the full potential of Orwell, our employees and those we support, care for and house.
Collaborative – we will work in partnership and search out best practice. We will collaborate with tenants, customers, colleagues and like-minded organisations to develop solutions together.
Effective – we will be economic and embed efficiency across our services ensuring we lead the way with our knowledge and expertise. We will ensure that our teams are committed and competent to be the best at what they do.
- A good knowledge of the general building/construction industry.
- Experience of property maintenance
- A knowledge of fitting kitchens, is desirable
- Experience of working within the Social Housing sector is desirable.
- Good knowledge of building terminology and regulations
- Good knowledge or Health and Safety legislation
- Carpentry & Joinery qualification is desirable.
- Certificate in Mechanical Engineering Services (Plumbing) is desirable.
- Certificate in Painting & Decorating is desirable.
- HNC (or equivalent) in Building Studies, is desirable.
- Well-organised and able to keep good records for data protection and financial purposes.
- Self-motivated and possess a proactive attitude, working with minimal supervision.
- Able to work as part of a team and independently.
- Flexible approach with strong time management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong administration skills and experience of producing written reports.
- Listens effectively and asks appropriate questions to clarify understanding.
- Summarises information to check understanding.
- Adapts to different audiences.
- Responds to all customer enquiries promptly, positively, and courteously.
- Asks appropriate questions to identify customer needs.
- Takes time to establish underlying needs beyond those initially expressed.
- Interacts well with customers considering customers diverse needs.
- Sees things from the customer’s point of view.
- Constantly questions “how will this benefit the customer?”
- Finds diverse ways to satisfy customer needs.
- Actively requests feedback from customers and acts constructively upon both positive and negative feedback.
- Explains when Orwell are unable to fulfil requests and seeks alternative solutions
- Resolves enquiries promptly, referring to others when genuinely appropriate.
- Presents a clear, concise, and well thought through case using facts and figures
What we can offer
As part of our benefits package, you can enjoy –
22 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays
access to the Orwell Rewards platform
reward and recognition awards
free DBS checks
free Hepatitis and Flu vaccination
The closing date for this job offer is on 15/06/2022
£28,500 - £30,000 per year
This job is located in Ipswich and surrounding areas, Suffolk and Norfolk
More Information and How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.