Applications for this role are now closed.
Undergraduate Apprentice – Environmental Health Officer
- South Norfolk & Broadland Councils
Salary and Hours: Circa £19,100 - £19,960 per annum, 37 hours per week
Contract Type: Fixed term for 4 years
Location: Thorpe Lodge, Norwich / South Norfolk House, Long Stratton
Other key information: Split between studying at Middlesex University and working as an apprentice in environmental health. We anticipate the working week will comprise around 2-3 days study at university with some remote learning and the remaining days working in the council.
Earn as You Learn! A Professional Career Path Awaits
Role Snapshot: Are you interested in studying for and gaining a valuable BSc (Honours) degree in Environmental Health, whilst also working for the council as an apprentice and gaining valuable experience in all aspects of environmental health practice? Do you have the drive to become an Environmental Health Officer and deliver excellent public service and protection of local communities? If the answer is yes, read on …
What you could be part of…
As well as studying for your degree, you’ll also be helping to deliver effective community outcomes in various aspects of protecting and promoting local residents’ health, safety, wellbeing and the environment. You will be able to build on the knowledge being gained through your degree in order to develop the competence and practical skills of an Environmental Health Officer.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people’s lives.
What you’ll be doing…
- Working with, assisting and supporting other members of the professional environmental health teams to deliver services (including public health, community and environmental protection, food safety, health and safety, and housing).
- Shadowing and assisting fellow officers with proactive inspections, compliance visits, investigations, surveys, sampling and interventions in commercial and domestic premises and the wider environment, as directed and/or supervised and supported by other officers.
- As your knowledge and competence develops, you’ll be taking on a personal caseload of reactive work, including responding to and investigating complaints, and proactive project work and educational activities where required.
- Analysing and interpreting data and information and implementing decisions on a broad range of activities.
- As professional knowledge and competence develops, also you’ll be communicating with residents and businesses to advise them on the relevant legal provisions and good practice. You’ll also liaise with other council services such as Planning and Licensing to achieve compliance and improved environmental health outcomes.
- Assisting and supporting fellow officers to carry out enforcement duties, for example the collation and collection of evidence, preparing reports, drafting formal notices, preparing cases for prosecution in the Magistrates’ Court and attending court as a witness in line with enforcement policy.
You must have…
A levels or equivalent in scientific subjects meeting the entrance requirements for Middlesex University’s BSc (Hons) course in Environmental Health.
Broad academic knowledge in a science subject, geography, or social studies meeting the entry requirements for a Batchelor of Science (Honours) degree in Environmental Health
A full, valid driving licence or a commitment to obtain a valid driving licence with business use insurance so able to travel within the district.
For full details including role benefits and instructions on how to apply, click here. (pdf)
The closing date for this job offer is on 07/08/2022
Circa £19,100 - £19,960 per annum
This job is located in Thorpe Lodge, Norwich / South Norfolk House, Long Stratton, Norfolk
How to Apply
This site offers you an insight into Norfolk & Suffolk's most successful organisations, how they fit into our growing economy & the career & training opportunities on offer. Plus tools & resources for students, parents, careers leads & teachers that support ca...