Applications for this role are now closed.
In 2016 Mencap embarked on a new journey to open charity retail stores. Since the first store opened in November 2016, we have opened over 30 more stores. The income generated from the stores will help change the lives of people with a learning disability and their families.
Join our team to help us fulfil our vision of
‘…a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included’The Volunteer Role
We are looking for volunteers to join our eCommerce team at our Thetford Mencap shop. You do not need any experience – just a willingness to learn, all training will be provided.
This is what you could be doing as a volunteer retail assistant:
· Preparing stock - Checking items functions, steaming clothing, cleaning items, checking contents are complete.
· Photographing stock – Clothing, Cameras, Records, Collectables and many more!
· Picking and Packing – Picking sold items from our stock room, packaging them up safely and attaching postage labels.
· Listing & Research – Drafting items to be sold online, attaching pictures and writing condition descriptions.
‘Come and volunteer you will get all the experience you need and meet new people and talk to the customers who come into the shop’. - Volunteer Retail Assistant, Castleford
When do I need to be available?
You can volunteer anytime between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
We appreciate any time that you share with us. That can be anything from a few hours a week, to a full day or more.
What skills do I need?
You will be:
· Friendly and approachable
· Reliable and patient
· Able to work as part of a team
· Accepting of others who might be different to yourself
· Able to follow instructions
What can I expect from Mencap?
· Training and induction
· To feel fully supported in your role
· Agreed out-of-pocket expenses to be reimbursed (e.g. travel)
· To meet new people and be part of a team
· To learn new skills
· To feel appreciated and valued
‘Friendly atmosphere and you get to meet new people!’ - Volunteer Retail Assistant, Derby
What difference will I make?
1.5 million people in the UK have a learning disability.
We have an ambitious vision for the UK to be the best place in the world for people with a learning disability to live happy and healthy lives. Volunteers play a key role in helping us achieve this.
Volunteering with us is YOUR opportunity to help us achieve this, whilst having the chance to develop your skills, meet new people and join a passionate and dedicated team.
What happens next?
Once we have received your application, we will be in touch to see whether this role is a good match for your skills and experience and to discuss the role in more detail.
If you have not heard from us after 2 weeks, please email email@example.com
The closing date for this job offer is on 30/06/2022
This job is located in Thetford, Norfolk
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.