We are a family dental practice offering NHS and Private services in the town of Stowmarket. Non-corporate. Close by Norwich-London train station and bus services. Car parking nearby. A Covid19 secure premises. Five treatment rooms all with air conditioning, air filtration and open windows. Friendly staff and patients. Practice owner (Jill) has a long history in training dental professionals including dentists and nurses.
There is an opportunity for a Dental Nurse Apprentice to join our team.
This dental practice is looking to recruit an apprentice dental nurse ready to start college at West Suffolk College (Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds) in September 2021. Commencement of work can be negotiated individually depending on personal circumstances and commitments, such as GCSE or A-Level examinations, however the post is available beginning of August 2021.
The position would involve working within a dental practice team and assisting the dentist with their duties whilst treating patients.
You will be given the training, safety equipment and supervision to undertake your practical duties such as:
- Cross infection control
- Chair side clinical treatments, such as tooth restorations and root canal treatment
- Processing of X-rays
- Accurate record keeping in line with the Data Protection Act
Your main duties will be:
- Assisting the dentist with preparing instruments and equipment
- Mixing different materials as required and providing suction support.
- You will need to be supportive to both your patient and dentist at all times.
- On a daily basis you will be required to check that your day lists are accurate and that all patients records are available and up to date.
- Laboratory work will need to be booked in and out.
- Your dental surgery will need to be stocked up to ensure sufficient materials and supplies available for the day’s treatment.
- Possible rotation in the practice may involve working in central decontamination and reception duties.
- Reception duties may involve answering the telephone, making appointments and taking patient payments.
Five GCSEs must include Maths and English Language, and a science is preferred, all at grade A-C/9-4.
- You will need to be able to work on your own initiative.
- Handle equipment with dexterity
- Be accurate at all times.
- Be adaptable to change.
- Good communication skills
- Able to work well within a team
- Excellent time keeping skills
- Be able to show an empathy with patients.
- A flexible approach to working.
- A desire to grow skills for future higher roles whether medical or managerial.
- Be confident to talk to patients.
Training to be Provided
Level 3 Dental Nurse Apprenticeship
Things to consider
Dental practices need to be clean and operate Covid19 secure practices for the wellbeing of its staff and patients. Wedgwood House dental practice follows the latest guidance from the UK government and the NHS England Chief Dental Officer.
All staff will need to maintain Covid19 secure status. The successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check and complete a course of Hepatitis B and Covid19 vaccinations.
You will work four days a week at the dental practice, plus (paid) college time. It will typically be Monday to Friday, but the occasional Saturdays in substitute for a week day. College day as designated by West Suffolk College.
Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship you will be able to register with the General Dental Council and apply for permanent positions.
There may be opportunities for you to study further and apply for other positions within the Dental Industry.
The closing date for this job offer is on 23/07/2021
£260 per week
This job is located in Stowmarket, Suffolk
How to Apply
About West Suffolk College
West Suffolk College is an ambitious vocational and academic College, with a stunning main campus set in the heart of Bury St Edmunds. We are committed to providing outstanding education to all our students.