A very diverse and innovate career, involving the transmission of a wide variety of media. This includes the transmission of terrestrial signals for television, radio, as well as mobile phone systems from large masts, and mobile internet. They are innovative in the new need for the live streaming of media content online, for television and radio.
You can start on an in-house engineering training scheme like the BBC's degree apprenticeship.
You can apply for the BBC Broadcast Engineering Graduate Scheme, if you have an honours degree (at least an upper class second or equivalent) in electronics, physics, maths, computer science or a closely related subject.
You could have an advantage if you've paid or unpaid experience in using broadcast technology equipment from a placement with a broadcaster, by working on student film or TV productions, or community or hospital radio.
If you don't start through a training scheme, you’ll usually need:
- experience in maintaining and repairing electronic equipment
- to be familiar with broadcast technology
- a work-related qualification in electronic or electrical engineering
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could move into management.
You could also work freelance.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Electronics engineer
- Live sound engineer
- Satellite engineer
- TV or film camera operator
National Government Policy states that all students should have achieved at least a Grade 4 or C Grade in English & Maths at GCSE. Achieving this minimum grade in these subjects will increase the opportunities open to you, support your future career development and prospects.
Students who do not meet this standard will be supported to continue to study English and Maths through full-time education or an Apprenticeship.
- Excellent technical skills
- Experience in electronic engineering and using media equipment
- Good IT skills
- Good problem solving abilities
- Able to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good time management skills
£20,000 to £50,000