Applications for this role are now closed.
Trainee Operative - Contracting (Highways Maintenance)
Our Trainee Operative (highways) Apprenticeship scheme is 18 – 24 months duration with off-the-job training in the form of one week in every three months at college, to complete the level 2 qualification as a Highway Maintenance Skilled Operative. You will also benefit from valuable hands-on experience, learning from skilled individuals in our business and enjoying variety in your role.
Activities may include:
- Working on rural and urban roads to repair damaged surfaces, using hand and power tools and pedestrian plant machinery.
- Working in a team, you will repair potholes, complete surface work, replace kerbs, installing street iron works and much more!
- In addition, you will be trained in using machinery and plant. For example; steel saws, rollers and dumpers.
- You will be given full manual handling training and helped to obtain a CSCS card.
Working on site will involve working outside. It won’t always be glamorous but be assured your safety and health is our number one priority and full protective clothing and equipment is provided. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-today role you will complete our Highway Maintenance Skilled Operative Level 2, giving you good grounding to start a career in our industry. Further details of the qualification can be found here: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/highways-maintenance-skilled-operative-v1-0.
The Ideal Candidate
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success. This following transferable skills and qualifications are beneficial in this role:
GCSEs (or equivalent), A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) including English and Maths.
- Willingness to listen and learn.
- Team player.
- Communication skills.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Good attitude around working safely – this is our no.1 priority.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
The closing date for this job offer is on 12/06/2022
This job is located in Norwich
More Information and How to Apply
Tarmac (a CHR company) is the UK’s leading sustainable construction materials, road contracting and building products business.