Life is better when everyone can read well and express themselves confidently.
Beanstalk recruits, trains and supports volunteers to provide one-to-one literacy support to children aged 3-13 who require extra support with reading.
Beanstalk reading helpers transform the lives of the children they support, turning them into confident, passionate and able readers.
What we do
Beanstalk’s service is simple yet highly effective. We recruit, train and support volunteers to provide consistent, one-to-one literacy support to children who need our help. Our volunteer give them the support they need to improve their reading ability and confidence.
The children we help may have fallen behind with their reading, lack confidence, or struggle with their fluency, comprehension or vocabulary.
Our one-to-one reading support changes the child's life:
- Improving their reading ability
- Inspiring confidence in their own ability
- Increasing their enjoyment of reading
- Beanstalk reading helpers are to recognise what challenges each child faces and tailor their sessions to support each child.
Each Beanstalk reading helper works with on average three children and provides consistent support on a weekly basis, for a whole school year. Together, they read, play and talk. With Beanstalk's support the child's approach to reading and learning is often transformed:
- 97% of schools say that Beanstalk's service saved their staff's valuable time.
- 96% of schools would recommend Beanstalk to other schools.
- 94% of schools say that Beanstalk reading helpers enabled them to offer one-to-one support to children that would be difficult to provide otherwise.
- 98% of schools agreed that their reading helpers helped children to improve their enjoyment of reading.
- 99% of schools agreed that their reading helpers helped children to improve their confidence.
- 97% of schools agreed that their reading helpers helped children to improve their attitude to reading.
If you would like to help transform a child's life, you can find out more about becoming a Beanstalk reading helper here.
Where we work
Beanstalk works in early years settings, primary and secondary schools in various areas across England, currently operating in London, South East, South West, Midlands, North West, Yorkshire, North East and the East of England.
We currently work in schools in the following local authorities:
Find out more about volunteering with Beanstalk and the difference you will make to a child's life. When you're confident you know all about Beanstalk, apply for one of our volunteering opportunities!
- Frequently asked questions - Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions by new volunteers.
- Stories from our reading helpers - Hear from current reading helpers, schools and other supporters about why they are involved with Beanstalk
- Volunteer agreement - Volunteers are an essential and valued part of Beanstalk. Find out more about how we will do the best we can to make your volunteer experience with us enjoyable and rewarding.
- What to expect - Find out more about what's involved as a Beanstalk reading helper and the life-changing impact you can have!
- Where we work - Beanstalk works in local authorities across England. Find out if we work in your local area.
- Why volunteer - Become a Beanstalk reading helper to make a lasting difference to a child's life and enjoy a unique volunteering experience.
Become a reading helper
Beanstalk trains volunteers to become reading helpers in schools and early years settings. Find out more about volunteering with Beanstalk or choose the volunteering opportunity which suits you best below.
- Beanstalk Reading 321 - Become a Beanstalk Reading 321 helper and support three children, twice a week, for at least one academic year.
- Corporate volunteering - Join Beanstalk's corporate volunteering scheme and your employees can help more children to read, grow and succeed.
- Story Starters - Become a Story Starter volunteer and give a child in a local nursery the skills, confidence and attitude to start primary school ready to read.
For further details about what we do, how you can support us and the opportunities that we maybe able to offer you, follow us here on icanbea... and use the links provided to our website and other social media.