Abellio operates public transport services in Europe, with bus, tram and rail networks. Here in the UK we operate as Greater Anglia train services, ScotRail, and Merseyrail in a joint venture with Serco. We also operate buses through Abellio London & Surrey. Every day 13,000 Abellio people provide safe, easy and reliable public transport for more than a million passengers.
Abellio people are genuine, innovative in spirit and dedicated to a positive future for travel, this is the Abellio Way. We employ individuals from diverse backgrounds and we firmly believe in creating a working environment that embraces diversity and equality.
It is our people and our approach that make us different. We know that to succeed as a business, the transport industry must be in good shape. Our way, the Abellio Way, allows our people to achieve their full potential, not only while they are with us, but throughout their entire career; this is our commitment to travel as a whole. Greater Anglia are committed to providing our colleagues with the appropriate training and development. We believe nurturing talent is the secret to running a successful, thriving railway.
On day one our newbies join ‘Welcome on Board’ our award-winning onboarding 3-day programme. It gives all newbies an opportunity to learn more about the business and it’s goals, how best they can apply our values and behaviours to their role. > Find out more
Diversity and Inclusion Training
We’re committed to making everyone feel welcome because we believe we are Greater Together. Greater Together is our internal brand linked to everything we do that drives Diversity and Inclusion including our culture awareness programme. The programme supports colleagues to foster an environment which is inclusive where people feel safe to be their authentic selves at work. > Find out more
Customer Experience Training
The Customer Experience is key to us delivering successful journeys to our customers getting them from A to B efficiently. Getting the training right for this area of the business is crucial. We train and develop customer facing managers and supervisors to better understand their influence on the customer experience. > Find out more
Other Development Opportunities
There is access to further development such coaching, mentoring, leadership development, management support tools, mandatory and developmental online learning packages delivered through our digital learning platform covering subjects like Health and Safety, Environmental, Wellbeing and more. > Find out more
We have internal adult apprenticeship opportunities ranging from Level 2-5 that are applicable to all colleagues whatever their age or stage of career, subject to the current job role. An Apprenticeship is a programme of learning that is designed to enhance an individual’s level of competency and confidence by developing their practical skills, knowledge, and behaviour. Every year GA is committed to nurturing our existing talent by offering a limited number of spaces to help further their personal and professional development. > Find out more
As a trainee driver or conductor, you will be enrolled on a nationally recognised apprenticeship. This has fast become the industry standard for new starters, for trainee drivers, the apprenticeship is Level 3 Driver. And for conductors, the apprenticeship is Level 2 Passenger Transport Operative Onboard Pathway. > Find out more
Careers at Greater Anglia
At Greater Anglia we have many different areas of employment, take a look below to find out about the opportunities we have to offer:
- Asset Management - he Asset Management department comprises Station Asset Management, Commercial Properties and Retail Leasing and Projects.
- Operations - The Greater Anglia Operations Function is responsible for the planning and operation of our train service - all the way from planning the timetable through to the driving of the trains and looking after our customers whilst they are on board.
- Train Presentation - Train Presentation are predominantly responsible for Train and Station Cleaning across the Greater Anglia network. Tasks would involve litter picking, bin liner replacement, steam cleaning, chewing gum removal, hoovering & window cleaning.
- Customer Service - Within the Greater Anglia Customer Service team we aim to deliver a positive and friendly approach to the key customer-facing roles at information desks, ticket offices, ticket gate barriers, platforms and station and train presentation teams, ensuring that our customers and colleagues are valued and respected.
- Fiance Department - The Finance Department plays an important role in the success of the company - financial control, analysis and reporting is a key part of the commercial-decision making process for the business.
- Engineering - The Engineering team at Greater Anglia are responsible for the upkeep of the rolling stock (engines & carriages). The maintenance and professional engineering activities ensure that the rolling stock used is kept in a safe and serviceable state for our customers. There are about 300 colleagues in the team ranging from cleaners to chartered engineers with a wide variety of careers and roles.
- Commercial - The Commercial department comprises of Marketing, Revenue, Corporate Affairs, Procurement, Retail Systems and Sales.
- HR - Our people are at the heart of our success and we rely on them to deliver the best possible experience for our customers. Therefore, in the HR team we have one main responsibility which, is to support and develop our colleagues in line with our values, policies and procedures.
- Information Systems - The Information Systems (IS) department is responsible for the network infrastructure at all our stations, depots and headquarters functions, which supports the delivery of our train services.
- Safety - The Safety team ensures that colleagues and contractors adhere to health safety standards and comply with statutory health and safety legal requirements. The team has a diverse range of responsibilities covering Safety Performance, Security, Crime and Intelligence, Safety Standards and Environment.
Greater Anglia Customer Service traineeship programme supports young people who are looking to develop their skills for apprenticeships, sustainable employment, and further learning. Since 2017 Greater Anglia have partnered with a local training provider to offer traineeship opportunities to young people who are currently out of mainstream education or employment. The programme is part of our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion which helps provide young individuals with aspiration and insight into a career in the railway. Traineeships combine an education and training programme with work experience.
Greater Anglia works in partnership with local universities to offer a twelve-month industrial placement opportunity to several 2nd year university students who are looking to supplement their degree with professional experience. We are committed to giving young students the opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject of choice alongside the employability skills required for real-life work and make future career choices. In previous years we have had some excellent opportunities in Marketing, IT, Finance and Asset Management departments.
Supported Internships aim to give young people with a range of needs including learning disabilities, autism, PD, mental health, and special education needs and or disability (SEND) the skills to move into employment. Each academic year we work with local educational establishments to offer experience to a few students in non-safety critical roles. The educational establishment partners with a charity to provide job coaches to support the students while carrying out the internship which tapers off as they get familiar with the role.
Supported Internships are designed to develop transferable skills, knowledge, and attitudes in readiness for paid employment. Through training and work experience, young people will develop employability skills, self-confidence, job specific skills and Maths, English and ICT skills whilst working alongside employees in a real employment environment/setting. This is part of our continued commitment to bringing diverse talent into our business and building opportunities that are inclusive to all.
For more more information? on these schemes, please email us through email@example.com
Find out more
For more information on careers with Greater Anglia, follow us here on icanbea... and use the links provided to our website.