Ipswich is the county town of Suffolk and is the fastest growing urban centre in the East of England, with key developments in particular taking place on the Waterfront. A third of a million people live within 15 miles of Ipswich town centre.
Ipswich Borough Council and its Councillors are committed to transforming Ipswich and to improving the way in which we work and is responsible for the following services:
- Benefits : housing benefit, council tax reduction and local housing allowance
- Business : business advice and support, commercial properties to let in Ipswich, tendering opportunities, business events, forecourt bookings
- Elections: Registering how to vote, details on past and present elections
- Environmental health: food safety, animal welfare and pest control as well as pollution, noise and nuisance issues
- Housing: finding housing, information for council tenants, advice for private tenants, landlords and homeowners
- Leisure: Local events and event planning, our entertainment venues, museums and galleries. Also information on visiting Ipswich, the Tourist Information Centre and our Local Market
- Parking, transport and streets: Car parks and on street parking, public transport, and reporting highway and street cleansing issues
- Planning and building: Planning applications, policy documents, conservation, building regulations and land charges
- Sustainability: the Council’s environment strategy, grants for householders etc
Ipswich Borough Council provides a voice for its communities as well as a wide range of services to meet their needs. It is also committed to transforming Ipswich and to improve the way in which we work. We will deliver effective local government, based on excellent customer care, which is open and responsive to residents’ wishes.
Working for Ipswich Borough Council
We provide a wide range of benefits to motivate employees, help achieve their potential and to improve their performance. These include:
- Professional development opportunities
- Extensive in-house training courses
- Regular Personal Development Reviews and personal briefing sessions, for personal development planning
- Flexible working arrangements are available for suitable posts
An apprenticeship with Ipswich Borough Council is a great stepping stone to your career, giving you valuable experience in the workplace, your own income and recognised qualifications.
For more information, visit: https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/content/apprenticeship-ipswich-borough-council
Apprentice Testimonial - Livvy Grant, Events Officer
"I applied for a Venue Management Apprenticeship with Ipswich Borough Council after finding it in the paper. I didn’t really know what to expect but I loved being an Apprentice. The way I’d describe it is being eased into a working environment while training for a qualification and receiving support every step of the way.
I started in June 2013 and was based at the Town Hall and Corn Exchange. During my time as an Apprentice I assisted with administration tasks, planned and ran my own events and helped manage the day to day running of the Town Hall. As the Apprenticeship progressed I was given more responsibility which included managing bookings for events and conferences for the buildings from point of enquiry to the event day. As time went on I progressed, learning a range of new skills, making lots of new contacts and developing my confidence with the responsibility I was given. My Apprenticeship was a year-long contract but another opportunity came up and so after 8 months I progressed to a new role within the Council and completed the last part of my NVQ while in the permanent position of Trainee Events Assistant. I had wanted to be a part of the Events Team since I joined the Council so when a vacancy came up I was thrilled to get it. My new role involved a big jump in responsibility, planning and leading on larger scale events than
I was used to at the Town Hall, managing staff for the first time and working on event days. I absolutely loved the role and believe that the opportunities I was given as an Apprentice prepared me to progress, developing my confidence, skill set and abilities. A year and a half on I’ve progressed again to Events Officer and love the challenges of this new position."
Ipswich Event Maker programme
A further opportunity for those looking to work with the council is to volunteer as part of the Ipswich Event Maker programme. The programme encourages people to volunteer throughout Ipswich with a variety of exciting opportunities. These include events such as Ipswich Music Day and the Maritime Festival. For further information on this please visit https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/services/events-and-event-planning
Find out more
If you would like further information about Ipswich Borough Council and the opportunities we have to offer, take a look at our website and follow us here on icanbea.