Mid Suffolk and Babergh District Councils
Mid Suffolk and Babergh District Councils are two neighbouring district councils covering a large area in the middle of Suffolk which stretches from Norfolk to Essex.
Together, Mid Suffolk and Babergh cover nearly 600sqm and have a population of approximately 187000. The two Councils have integrated their staff teams and now work closely together.
The main office for Mid Suffolk and for Babergh it is in Ipswich.
Our staff work for both Mid Suffolk and Babergh District Councils. Have a look at our Babergh District Council for more!
Employment and Apprenticeships
Babergh and Mid Suffolk currently employ around 470 officers who serve both councils across the services listed below and other support services such as Human Resources, Legal, Finance and ICT. These employees can range from Apprentices through Support Assistants, Officers, Managers, Directors and the Chief Executive.
Salaries are aligned to the Local Government Service Pay Scales and range from around £6500 for apprentices right up to Directors at £80k + and usually start at the base level suggested for the grade of job you apply for.
Apprenticeship and Internship opportunities are often available and balance work with studying to achieve qualifications. Babergh and Mid Suffolk, together with the other district and borough councils and with the County Council are committed to offering support and opportunities for young people under the banner of ‘Rising High’.
Services and Responsibilities
The councils are responsible for a wide range of services which include:
- Environmental Services - Environmental Protection which deals with incidents of pollution and nuisance that arise within the district and also Food and Safety – which deals with registration and inspection of establishments in the district
- Housing – maintenance and management of council housing, improving housing standards, operation of the housing register and allocations and homelessness prevention
- Planning and Management of the built environment – development management, building control, design and conservation, heritage and planning policy.
- Economic Development and Regeneration – working on inward investment, business support, skills development, key sector support and physical regeneration. The team also provides support to projects to address transport issues and enhance district infrastructure
- Revenue and Benefits – the administration and payment of housing benefits, billing and collection of councils tax for both domestic and business properties.
- Community Development – community engagement, grants, arts and sports development
- Countryside and open space management – some parks, natural spaces and leisure areas
- Waste services – refuse collection and street cleansing.
- Elections – organising and running all elections as well as dealing with electoral registration
- Licensing - manages a broad range of licensing that controls the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, late night refreshment, gambling, taxi and private hire services, small lotteries, charitable collections and much more...
Find out more
For more information about the work we do and any opportunities that we have to offer, use the links provided to our website and follow us here on icanbea for all the latest news and updates.