Suffolk County Council
Suffolk County Council's mission is to make a positive difference for Suffolk. We are committed to working together, striving to improve, and securing the best possible services "
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. They underpin our approach to performance, reward, and wellbeing. They define the relationship between the council and our people.
The county council is responsible for a large range of services and employ staff to deliver them countywide - these include:
- Education and learning: Supporting schools, youth services, higher education opportunities and skills for work
- Environment: Conservation of the countryside and public access to it, waste disposal and archaeological services
- Leisure and culture: Archives and support for arts and museums
- Public safety: Firefighting, rescue and emergency services, safety advice
- Social care: Care for older people who require physical or mental health support services, supporting residents with physical or learning disabilities and children and their families who need protection and support
- Public transport and highways: Maintaining and improving Suffolk's roads, footpaths and public rights of way, road safety and public transport co-ordination
- Business and trading standards: Enforcing fair trading laws, protecting consumers and giving advice
- Registration: Births, marriages and deaths
Find out how Suffolk County Council runs including details of the different service areas on our website.
Opportunities at Suffolk County Council
Suffolk County Council is one of the largest employers in Suffolk. We offer a wide range of career opportunities for people from all backgrounds.
We offer a fantastic working environment, great flexible working options and staff benefits, as well as the opportunity to improve the lives of Suffolk residents. We have a strong commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and provide a variety of training and support options for staff to enhance their professional development by learning new skills which can support their career progression. Suffolk County Council is Disability Confident.
Our values underpin our approach to performance, reward, and wellbeing.
Wellbeing: We look after ourselves, each other and the planet
Equality: Respecting, valuing, embracing, and celebrating everyone’s unique differences
Achieve: We are the best we can be
Support: We work as one team
Pride: We are passionate about making a positive different to the people and place of Suffolk
Innovate: We believe in making every penny count, every minute matter and reducing environmental impact
Respect: We give and earn respect
Empower: We empower, encourage, and motivate
- Opportunities for Young People
- Adult and Children’s Services
- Suffolk Fire and Rescue
- Temporary Work
- And more!
Information about pay, reward, pension, travel benefits and discounts.
In addition to a fantastic working environment and the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of Suffolk residents, we also offer an extensive reward package that combines pay, pension and a range of additional benefits.
- Performance-related annual pay progression, in addition to an annual cost-of-living pay increase
- Instant e-vouchers for some of the UK's top retailers and discounts at hundreds of other retailers and brands
- Financial wellbeing support, including low-interest loans
- Access to the Suffolk Credit Union
- 20% off health and lifestyle assessments with Nuffield Health
- Access to a health cash plan to help cover health costs such as dental, optical, maternity/paternity, physio etc.
- Relocation package for some roles
- Local Government Pension Scheme (whereby both the employee and employer contribute towards the pension fund)
- Half price travel for public transport on most routes (and free on some others!)
- Tax free bikes and car lease scheme
- Incremental annual leave entitlements plus UK bank holidays and two paid volunteering day
- Confidential employee assistance programme
- Occupational sick pay
- A strong commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Learning and development opportunities including a range of work-based apprenticeships
- Flexible working options
Suffolk County Council is committed to supporting the national agenda to increase apprenticeships and aims to provide high quality apprenticeship opportunities for people of all ages across a range of different jobs and careers.
Apprenticeships are for people of any age and can be completed by existing members of staff alongside their existing role as a way of gaining a qualification or developing new skills.
All apprenticeship vacancies are advertised on Suffolk Jobs Direct. Once you’ve registered for an account you can set up alerts for new vacancies and apply for jobs online. Visit Suffolk Jobs Direct.
Rising High in Suffolk
Rising High is for young people providing information on the opportunities available at Councils in Suffolk. Visit Rising High in Suffolk.
Find out more
To find out more about Suffolk County Council, including any opportunities that we may offer, use the links provided to our website and follow us here on icanbea for the latest news and updates.