Suffolk GP Federation is a not-for-profit community interest organisation owned by 57 GP practices covering 650,000 patients. Members remain independent organisations, whilst working together to develop local primary care.
The Federation has a turnover of approximately £23m and employs over 700 members of staff. It was established with a one-off financial contribution from practices and since its formation has funded all of its activities without any contribution from its members.
We were formed to:
- Help GP practices work together in an open, democratic and transparent way
- Address issues which can be solved through collaboration (rather than by individual practices)
- Provide management, skills and expertise that an individual practice would find difficult to finance
We have two main areas of activity:
1. Supporting general practice
- Supporting complex service changes through collaboration between groups of practices
- Workforce development including GP recruitment and retention, support for salaried and locum GPs, practice managers, nurses, administration staff and other healthcare professionals
- Delivering services where it is sensible for one organisation to take a lead
2. Patient services
- Suffolk GP Federation manages a portfolio of services.
Suffolk GP Federation provides a range of NHS services to patients which have been developed and are staffed by local clinicians. We also run Suffolk GP+ which provides routine appointments for patients in the evenings, at weekends and Bank Holidays from a variety of bases across Suffolk.
In addition, we manage several services in alliance with East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Suffolk County Council and Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust. Our services have been developed – and are staffed – by local clinicians and we are registered with the Care Quality Commission.
Suffolk GP Federation is dedicated to improving the career opportunities of doctors and other healthcare professionals working in general practice.