Greater Anglia is part of a wider transport group, Abellio Transport Holdings, who also operate the ScotRail franchise and Merseyrail concession, plus bus services in London and Surrey.
We are owned by ‘NS’ in the Netherlands who operate the rail services, stations and facilities on much of the Dutch network so are well placed to bring real improvements to services.
Greater Anglia provides the majority of commuter/regional services from its Central London terminus at London Liverpool Street to Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and parts of Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire as well as many regional services throughout the East of England.
Greater Anglia people provide safe, easy and reliable public transport for more than a million passengers, it is our people and our approach that make us different. We know that to succeed as a business, the transport industry must be in good shape. Our way, allows our people to achieve their full potential, not only while they are with us, but throughout their entire career; this is our commitment to travel as a whole.
Our role in transport extends beyond the journey from a-to-b. With our international heritage and our policy of sharing best practice, not just amongst ourselves, but across the wider transport industry, we provide thought leadership and truly innovative ideas which make a positive contribution to the communities we serve.
Our business practices are not exclusively profit driven and we will always work closely and creatively with our clients to achieve the best solutions for our passengers. That’s because we are dedicated to our partnerships and take our role as custodians of public transport seriously, for both the short and long term. We challenge the traditional conventions of travel so that we can provide better quality, safer, more convenient transport services that genuinely benefit our clients and customers.
Careers at Greater Anglia
At Greater Anglia we have many different areas of employment, take a look below to find out about the opportunities we have to offer:
- Asset Management - The Asset Management department comprises Station Asset Management, Commercial Properties and Retail Leasing and Projects.
- Operations - The Greater Anglia Operations Function is responsible for the planning and operation of our train service - all the way from planning the timetable through to the driving of the trains and looking after our customers whilst they are on board.
- Train Presentation - Train Presentation are predominantly responsible for Train and Station Cleaning across the Greater Anglia network. Tasks would involve litter picking, bin liner replacement, steam cleaning, chewing gum removal, hoovering & window cleaning.
- Customer Service - Within the Greater Anglia Customer Service team we aim to deliver a positive and friendly approach to the key customer-facing roles at information desks, ticket offices, ticket gate barriers, platforms and station and train presentation teams, ensuring that our customers and colleagues are valued and respected.
- Fiance Department - The Finance Department plays an important role in the success of the company - financial control, analysis and reporting is a key part of the commercial-decision making process for the business.
- Engineering - The Engineering team at Greater Anglia are responsible for the upkeep of the rolling stock (engines & carriages). The maintenance and professional engineering activities ensure that the rolling stock used is kept in a safe and serviceable state for our customers. There are about 300 colleagues in the team ranging from cleaners to chartered engineers with a wide variety of careers and roles.
- Commercial - The Commercial department comprises of Marketing, Revenue, Corporate Affairs, Procurement, Retail Systems and Sales.
- HR & Safety - Our people are at the heart of our success and we rely on them to deliver the best possible experience for our customers. Therefore, in the HR team we have one main responsibility which, is to support and develop our colleagues in line with our values, policies and procedures.
- Information Systems - The Information Systems (IS) department is responsible for the network infrastructure at all our stations, depots and headquarters functions, which supports the delivery of our train services.
Greater Anglia provides an exciting and challenging apprenticeship programme for aspiring young engineers. A railway specific engineering pathway makes this a unique apprenticeship experience. We also introduced Customer Service Apprenticeships this year, giving young people experience in different frontline Customer Services roles.
For further information about Greater Anglia and the career opportunities we have to offer, please visit the careers page on our website.