Suffolk County Council
The county council is responsible for a large range of services and employ staff to deliver them countywide - these include:
- Education and learning: Supporting schools, youth services, higher education opportunities and skills for work
- Environment: Conservation of the countryside and public access to it, waste disposal and archaeological services
- Leisure and culture: Archives and support for arts and museums
- Public safety: Firefighting, rescue and emergency services, safety advice
- Social care: Care for older people who require physical or mental health support services, supporting residents with physical or learning disabilities and children and their families who need protection and support
- Public transport and highways: Maintaining and improving Suffolk's roads, footpaths and public rights of way, road safety and public transport co-ordination
- Business and trading standards: Enforcing fair trading laws, protecting consumers and giving advice
- Registration: Births, marriages and deaths
Find out how Suffolk County Council runs including details of the different service areas on our website.
As a large countywide, but local employer, we have put in place a programme of opportunities and workplace experiences for young people and offer job opportunities in all areas and at all levels through our recruitment website Suffolk Jobs Direct.
Suffolk County Council directly employs thousands of people across all major services.
Salaries at the county council are aligned to the Local Government Service Pay Scales and range from around £17,364 to £170,000. Salaries usually start at the base level suggested for the grade of job but include other benefits like pension contributions, flexible working, staff discount schemes etc.
Apprenticeship, Graduate and Industrial Placement opportunities are sometimes available and balance working practices with achieving further qualifications. SCC and the Districts and Boroughs in Suffolk are committed to offering support and opportunities for young people and all come together under the banner of ‘Rising High’.
Find out more
To find out more about Suffolk County Council, including any opportunities that we may offer, use the links provided to our website and follow us here on icanbea for the latest news and updates.