As animal care worker you could work for an animal welfare charity or rescue centre. Tasks would include looking after the health and well being of the animals in the centre such as feeding, grooming, exercising and making sure the animals are fit and healthy. Animal welfare centres are always looking for volunteers and also sometimes paid help to run their rescue or care centres.
There are various ways in which you can get into this job role and the entry requirements can vary depending on what you choose to do:
A college course
You could take a college course in animal care or management, for example:
- Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Animal Care
- Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Animal Care
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
The following local colleges offer courses in Animal Care:
Or your local 6th form may offer a relevant course
You can do an intermediate apprenticeship as an animal care and welfare assistant, or an advanced apprenticeship in animal care.
You'll usually need:
- Some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
It'll help to have some experience of working with animals before you start looking for a job.
Volunteering can sometimes lead in to paid work. You can find out about volunteering opportunities in your area from:
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could become a supervisor or manager, or work self-employed.
You could also use your experience to move into other animal care careers, like veterinary nursing, or find work in a zoo or wildlife park.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Animal technician
- Assistance dog trainer
- Dog groomer
- Kennel worker
- Pet shop assistant
- A very keen interest in working with and caring for animals
- The ability to handle animals that may be timid or nervous
- cool under pressure
£13,500 to £22,000