The Business Development Manager is responsible for improving the companies market position and financial growth. They will identify business opportunities, build customer relations and will negotiate and close deals.
There are no set entry requirements, but employers may ask for:
- GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) or equivalent, in maths, English and IT
- sales, marketing or business management experience
- a degree in any subject
A business-related degree could help you get onto some companies’ graduate training programmes.
You could also:
- work your way up from a sales or marketing role
- get a head start by doing a college course in sales or business
- develop useful customer service and marketing skills by volunteering
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could progress to senior development manager, business development executive or marketing director.
You could also use your skills in sales, marketing and project management to move into other areas of business.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Business analyst
- Business adviser
- Sales manager
- Marketing manager
- Bid writer
Excellent communication and sales skills are essential for this role, you will also need a good understanding of business and marketing principles, good negotiation skills, self motivation and able to work on your own initiative.
£25,000 to £60,000