Bus or Coach Drivers transport passengers on local, national or overseas journeys. They are responsible for their passengers health and safety and road safety is a very important part of the job. They may also assist passengers with their luggage.
You can get this job through:
You can get into this job through a passenger transport driver intermediate apprenticeship.
You'll usually need some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship.
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
You'll usually apply to bus or coach companies and train on the job.
You would be put through Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) driver training that normally lasts between 1 and 6 weeks.
Your employer would also give you training for the Certificate of Professional Competence or Driver CPC.
Restrictions and requirements
You'll need to:
- have a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) - this is known as the Driver CPC
- be over 18 years of age
- have a full driving licence
Every 5 years you'll need to:
- take 35 hours of Driver CPC training
- renew your bus driving licence if you're aged 45 or over
Find out more about applying for your provisional PCV licence.
For some jobs you’ll also need a digital tachograph card.
You can find out more about jobs in the passenger transport and travel industries from CILT Careers.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a service controller or inspector, depot manager or driver training instructor.
You could also set up your own business. For this you'll need the Transport Manager CPC in Passenger Transport. This could be done through a local training provider.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Community transport driver
- Delivery van driver
- Driving instructor
- Tram driver
- Train driver
- Excellent driving skills
- knowledge of traffic regulations
- good customer service skills
- good geographical knowledge
- able to keep calm with difficult customers
- health and safety awareness
- good concentration levels
£14,000 to £25,000