Fire Fighters react to emergency situations to protect people, animals and property from fires, traffic incidents, floods, bomb threats and environmental hazards. They will work with the local community to advise on fire safety and how to prevent them in the first place. Many firefighters are retained which means they have other full-time jobs but carry pagers and will respond when an emergency call is received. Whole-time firefighters normally work in larger towns and cities and this will be their full-time job. Hours of work will typically include unsociable hours, whole-time firefighters will works shifts.
A reasonable standard of education is required, personal qualities and physical attributes are more important that academic qualifications.
- Excellent team working abilities
- Able to follow instructions
- The ability to keep calm and reassure others
- Good problem solving skills
- Physical strength and endurance
- Good interpersonal skills
- An interest in promoting community safety
£21,000 to £22,000