The Harbour Master will manage the movement of vessels within the harbour as well as deciding when ships can enter and leave, this could include leisure and commercial vessels. They will also be involved in managing environmental issues and monitoring pollution levels.
You will usually need a marine background and have served in a senior capacity at sea as Captain of a ship and have obtained a STCW Master's certificate of competency.
- Excellent decision making skills
- Good communication abilities
- Able to keep calm in emergency situations
- Good problem solving abilities
- A good understanding of environmental issues
- Good leadership skills
- The willingness to work unsocial hours when required
£25,000 to £80,000