Librarians will organise and manage collections of books, journals, magazines and electronic documents, this could be in a public library, a school, college or university or sometimes in large companies or organisations. Duties can vary depending on the size of the library but could include, cataloging stock using IT systems, dealing with enquiries, helping library user to find what they are looking for and setting up reading groups and other activities.
A degree in librarianship or information management that is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals would be preferable but entry could be through becoming a library assistant and completing work based training.
- Good customer service skills
- Very good organisational skills
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Good computer skills
- Able to supervise others
- Good research skills
- The ability to think analytically to develop new or revised systems or procedures
- Patience when dealing with customer requests
£16,000 to £20,000