Manufacturing Systems Engineers will design, install, develop and improve systems involved in the manufacturing process, their aim will be to make the manufacturing process run as efficiently and cost effectively as possible. They may also be involved in design and development of new manufacturing plants.
You can get into this job through:
You could start by doing a degree apprenticeship in systems engineering or manufacturing engineering.
You could also do a food and drink engineering higher or degree apprenticeship, if you want to specialise in the food production industry.
You'll usually need 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship.
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
You could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in:
- manufacturing systems engineering
- electrical or electronic engineering
- mechanical engineering
- production or manufacturing engineering
If you've got another engineering qualification, you could take a postgraduate course like a master's degree in manufacturing systems engineering.
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study
Click here to search for a suitable course.
Career Path and Progression
You could find work in any branch of manufacturing, like automotive, food and drink, pharmaceuticals or electronics.
You could work towards incorporated or chartered engineer status.
As an incorporated engineer, you would specialise in the day-to-day management of engineering operations. At chartered level, you would have a more strategic role, planning, researching and developing new ideas and streamlining management methods.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Mechanical engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Mechanical engineering technician
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- A high level of technical knowledge and IT skills
- Health and safety awareness
- The ability to multi task
- Good communication skills
- Strong team working abilities
- The ability to translate complex ideas into understandable concepts
£22,000 to £40,000