A Pet Shop Assistant serves customers in the shop and feed, groom, clean out, exercise and look after the animals - as well as selling domestic animals, animal food and accessories. They are responsible for keeping the shop clean and tidy, and dealing with stock and deliveries.
There are no set entry requirements, but it may help if you’ve:
- done a college course in animal care or management
- a background in retail customer service
- paid or unpaid experience of working with animals
You may be able to gain voluntary work experience with your local RSPCA, Dogs Trust or Cats Protection centres.
You could also get into this job through an apprenticeship.
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could progress to supervisor or manager.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Kennel worker
- Sales assistant
You'll need to have:
- a keen interest in animals and confidence in handling them
- good customer service skills
- a good appreciation of health and safety issues
£14,500 to £17,500