A politicians assistant will provide administrative support to MP's this could be relating to legislation, research, media relations or lobbying. Other duties may include responding to emails, answering the phone, supervising paid and volunteer support staff, updating databases, arranging meetings or helping the MP to write speech's.
A degree in political science, public administration, economics, maths, history, international studies or law would be preferable but you may be able to gain entry with a degree in another subject. Entry without a degree is unusual but exceptions may be made with excellent admin, IT and secretarial skills.
- Excellent organisational skills
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- The confidence to deal with senior Politician's
- A highly professional manner
- Integrity and an understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- Tact and diplomacy
- Good IT skills
£15,000 to £23,000