Tax Inspectors will work for the HM Revenue & Customs to make sure organisations and individuals pay the correct amount of tax and by the deadline that it is due. They are responsible for investigating tax evasion and will offer advice to individuals, companies and organisations or a range of tax related issues.
You can get into this job through:
You’ll need to apply for a place on HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC’s) Tax Specialist Programme and have one of the following:
- a degree (minimum 2:2) in any subject
- an equivalent award like a professional accountancy qualification
You must meet UK nationality requirements to apply for jobs in the civil service.
You can find out more about working in taxation from Civil Service Careers.
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could move through HMRC's promotion structure to more senior or specialist posts.
You could go into the private sector as a tax adviser, or become a self-employed tax consultant.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Civil service executive officer
- Customs officer
- Management accountant
- Private practice accountant
- to have good negotiating skills and powers of persuasion
- the ability to make decisions
- to be able to investigate and analyse complex information
- a creative approach to problem solving
£27,000 to £53,250