Taxi drivers either work in traditional hackney cabs or in private hire vehicles. They expected to know the best route for their customers and will need to have a good memory. Drivers will need to be competent handling money and good at communicating with their customers.
You must apply for a taxi driver's licence from the licensing unit of your local council or from Transport for London (TfL).
Private hire drivers in London need to take out hire or reward insurance. You'll also have to meet the English language requirement and be able to live and work legally in the UK.
Each licensing unit has its own conditions, but you'll usually need to:
- have a full UK or EU driving licence, held for at least 12 months (3 years in London)
- pass a criminal records check
- pass a medical
- be over 18 (21 in many areas, including London)
- pass a geographical test (the 'knowledge' in London)
- Excellent driving skills
- Awareness of road safety
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to deal with difficult customers in a calm manner
- Good customer service
- Good knowledge of the area you are operating in
£14,000 to £30,000