Works with people who make textiles, fabrics and other materials which are used to produce the clothing that has been designed by the clothing company. They work to improve the materials that they are offering to fit the needs of the design that is being proposed, as well as deciding which materials would be the best in terms of appearance, quality and strength. They will use these ideas to choose which manufacturing techniques will be used; this will give an indication of the likely price of the item of clothing which helps in deciding if the design is feasible.
You can get into this job through:
You can do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a relevant subject:
- fashion studies
- textile science
- materials science or technology
- chemical or physical sciences
- production or manufacturing engineering
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
Click here to search for a suitable course.
You could also get into the industry as a textile operative or technician and work your way up.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
Creative Skillset has information on careers in the textile industry and how to become a textile technologist.
Career Path and Progression
With experience, you could progress to senior technologist or move into a specialist area like research and development or quality management.
You could also move into related areas like sales and marketing or general management.
You could become self-employed and work as a consultant to different companies.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Analytical textile technologist
- Garment technologist
- Textile dyeing technician
- Textiles production manager
- A strong interest in the fashion industry
- Good practical skills
- The ability to work well as part of a team
- Good problem solving abilities
- A good understanding of computer technology
- The ability to prioritise and work to deadline
£16,000 to £55,000