Being a Warfare Specialist in the Royal Navy means you’re the person who identifies our targets, and our threats. Whether working in the Operations Room or on the ship's Weapon Systems you will be the heartbeat of the war-fighting effort. This job comes with serious responsibility, get it wrong and the ship could sustain damage, get it right and the enemy is defeated.
- You must be aged 16 – 39
- No qualifications are required for this role
- A British or Dual National
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
What you need to be eligible to be a rating:
- nationality and residency
- criminal convictions
- tattoos and piercings
click here for more details.
Although this job role does not require formal qualifications, we highly recommend that you try to achieve at least a grade 4 (C) in English & Maths. Achieving this minimum grade in these subject will increase opportunities in the future and help with your career development and prospects.
If you don't achieve the minimum grades, you will be supported to continue to study English and Maths throughout your full-time education or an apprenticeship.
Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, the joining process is as follows.
- Submit an application
- Once you’ve registered your interest and have satisfied the basic eligibility criteria, you will be sent an online application form
- Naval Service Recruitment Test (NSRT)
- You’ll be tested on general reasoning, verbal ability, numeracy and mechanical comprehension
- A formal interview to talk through your suitability for the role
- Medical and eye tests
- These are quite comprehensive and must be completed by one of our Ministry of Defence-approved doctors
- Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT)
- This involves completing a 2.4km run on a treadmill within a certain time, at a fitness centre near you
- Pre-Royal Navy Course (PRNC)
- This four-day induction to life in the Royal Navy is a pass or fail course
- Start training
- Once you’ve passed a Security Check, you’ll be offered a place at HMS Raleigh
Day One - Go to sea, work towards Local Boats Crew Endorsement (Bowman)
First Year - Complete Sections 1 & 2 of the Able Seaman Training Taskbook
First Promotion - Pass annual tests, get promoted to Able Warfare Specialist 1
- a good team player
- cool under pressure
£20,000 to £51,000 (plus the benefits)