Assistant Managers will support the General Manager with their day to day duties and will oversee employees for them in their absence. They are usually involved in hiring new employees and dealing with any disciplinary action or dismissals if necessary. The will also motivate their team, deal with training and unsure that day-to-day activities are running smoothly. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for handling customer complaints and dealing with any issues that employees are unable to sort out.
You could get into this role through a university course, a college course or an apprenticeship.
There are various degree, HND, HNC and foundation degree courses available in business management. You can decide on your specialist study topics to suit your interests and career aims.
The following are an example of the many courses available:
- Business Management
- Business and events management
- Business and hospitality management
- International business management
- Arts and media management
- Business and financial management
- Human resources management
Entry requirements can vary but you will usually need
- 5 GCSEs at grades 4 to 9 (A* to C) or equivalent including maths and English
- and 2 or 3 A levels or equivalent for a business related degree
- or at least 1 A level or equivalent for and HND or foundation degree course
You could do a relevant course in business studies, which will provide you with skills and knowledge to help you to progress to management
- Business Extended Diploma Level 3
- Business and Customer service Level 3
- Business Management - Access to High Education (This is a qualification which prepares students for a successful transition to Higher Education)
You'll usually need 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course.
The following local colleges offer courses in Business:
- City College Norwich
- East Coast College
- One Sixth Form College
- Suffolk New College
- The College of West Anglia
- West Suffolk College
Or your local 6th form may offer a relevant course.
You could do an Assistant Manager apprenticeship.
You'll usually need 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship (Level 3)
Click here to search for an apprenticeship.
Some employers offer Trainee Schemes, so you could apply for a Trainee Manager role.
Employers may expect you to have:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent qualifications, including English and maths
- telephone, typing or IT skills
Career path and progression
With experience you will be able to progress into a Manager or Area Manager role
- Able to make decisions
- Good leadership and motivational skills
- Good interpersonal and customer service abilities
- The ability to multitask
- Able to work under pressure to meet targets
- Good IT skills
£20,000 to £34,000