A barista is someone that specialises in making coffee and other beverages. They will usually work in a coffee shop, restaurant, cafe or hotel.
There are no specific qualifications to become a barista although customer service or catering and hospitality experience would be beneficial.
You could train through a hospitality team member intermediate apprenticeship which will usually take 12 months to complete, to get onto the course you will usually need GCSE's in English and Maths or you could take a college course in hospitality and catering.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a manager and then move on to a regional manager role.
You could also become self-employed and set up your own coffee shop.
- Good team-working abilities
- Able to cope under pressure
- Excellent customer service skills
- Patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- Good communication skills
- Able to work on your own initiative
£16,000 to £20,000