Family Support Workers will work closely with social workers to give practical help and advice to families that are having short term difficulties, this could be due to drug or alcohol addiction, a relationship breakdown, a parent in hospital or prison, child or parent disabilities or a language barrier.
You'll usually need a qualification in childcare, social work, social care, counselling, youth work or education.
Most employers will also want you to have some practical experience. You could get this through paid or voluntary work with children, young people and their families in places like:
- children's homes
- family refuge centres
- probation services
- family community centres
- mental health services
- youth projects
You’ll need to pass background checks by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Career Path and Progression
With experience and qualifications you could focus on a particular area, like working with people with disabilities. You could also progress to team leader (managing a group of support workers) or become an assistant manager of a family centre or refuge.
Experience in family support may help if you want to move into social work.
Related careers you may be interested in:
- Accommodation warden
- Foster carer
- Education welfare officer
National Government Policy states that all students should have achieved at least a Grade 4 or C Grade in English & Maths at GCSE. Achieving this minimum grade in these subjects will increase the opportunities open to you, support your future career development and prospects.
Students who do not meet this standard will be supported to continue to study English and Maths through full-time education or an Apprenticeship.
- The ability to build a good relationship and gain trust with the families you are working with
- Able to communicate effectively with both children and adults from all backgrounds
- A non-judgmental approach
- The patience to help parents develop the skills to look after their own family and run their own home
- An understanding and caring nature
- The ability to stay calm under pressure and in difficult situations
- A flexible approach
- Good organisational skills
- Able to work well with other professionals
£18,000 to £50,000