Plant Geneticists will look for ways to improve the quality and performance of existing plants or crops as well as developing new ones, they will look into new methods for disease resistance or drought tolerance to improve the yield and look of the crop or plant.
You will usually need a degree to get into this role, relevant subjects include:
- Crop and plant science
- Botany and plant science
- Molecular biology
For your degree you will usually need:
- 3 A levels or equivalent including biology
A postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject will give you an advantage and many plant geneticist will hold one.
Entry with an HND would be possible in a technical support role which may give you the opportunity to work you way up from there.
- A strong interest in plants and plant science
- Good problem solving abilities
- A flexible approach to work
- Able to work well in a team
- The ability to communicate your findings to others
- Good concentration levels
- An analytical and investigative mind
£16,000 to £40,000+